Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add-Ins not loading in Inventor Professional 2013 (Student Edition)

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
jmwoodring01
5381 Views, 30 Replies

Add-Ins not loading in Inventor Professional 2013 (Student Edition)

Hello,

I recently downloaded the student version of Inventor Professional 2013 (64-bit).  I made some parts and ran some stress analysis simulations on the parts.  I restarted Inventor after running a simulation and upon the reopen, none of the add-ins on the Environments tab were there and the Add-Ins manager does not open.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the entire program, even tried installing different model years of Inventor; none of the versions load the add-ins and the add-in manager fails to load (see screenshot).  I haven't found anything in the forums, but I'll keep looking in the meantime.  Help?

My machine runs Windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks,

Joeb

Screenshot.png

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
blair
in reply to: jmwoodring01

Changes to Inventor are updated/written when Inventor properly closes. If multiple instances of Inventor are running, the last one to close will retain and write the settings.

Also, insufficient User Permissions will not allow the settings to be written.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 31
mrattray

When you performed the install did you follow AutoDesk's installation guidelines?
Like Blair suggested, you need to be at least a power user, preferably an administrator in order to run Inventor.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 31
jmwoodring01

I am the Administrator on this computer.

There was only one session open at the time, which I closed completely.  It was about an hour or so until I started a new session (computer on the entire time).

What bugs me is that the add-in manager does not open for 2010, 2012, or 2013 versions of Inventor (I went through a few different installs to try and remedy the issue).  I completely uninstalled Inventor each time that I installed a new version (or reinstalled an old version).  Nothing seems to be working that I have tried.

And an update:  I needed the stress analysis for a project, so I downloaded the student version of Simulation Multiphysics, and that will not let me import any 3D models, and the add-in manager on that program opens but is empty.

Message 5 of 31
blair

Something is causing install problems on your machine. The only difference between the commercial version and the student version is the serial number with restricts how long the software can be used. Possibly use the "un-install software to remove the application and re-install.

It wouldn't hurt to check for any Malware or Virus.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 31
jmwoodring01

I ran virus scan (twice); nothing cropped up.

I'll try the uninstall/reinstall one more time and update later on its result.  If this doesn't work, maybe I need to have my computer looked at/cleaned; perhaps the virus scanner isn't catching something...

Thank you for the advice.

Message 7 of 31
blair

Use the Un-Install Tool in the Autodesk fold.

Install requirements

1.) Logged in with Admin Priv

2.) UAC Slider set to lowest position

3.) Try turning off your A/V software, may require disabling of services.

4.) Try using the default folder locations.

5.) Try installing and running a utility such as "www.ccleaner.com" it has a temp cache/directory cleanup as well as Registry clean-up before installing

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 31
jmwoodring01

Well, no dice.  I tried the quick uninstall, then uninstalled via control panel.  Installed the CCleaner per your suggestion and ran through the registry clean up several times to clean it up.  Downloaded Inventor from Autodesk again and tried to install it:  I still cannot locate any of the add-ins on the Environments tab, though. : /

Thank you for the advice/support.  Unless you or anyone else have any other ideas, I think there may be some other underlying cause to this, and maybe I should get my laptop looked at/professionally "cleaned."

Thanks!

Message 9 of 31
Mark_Wigan

try doing a quick test for us... it relates to finding out if you have a corrupt user profile.

• create a new user on your computer (admininstrator)
  • reboot
  • fire up inventor
  • test add-ins etc

or if there is already another user profile on the pc, get the other person to log on and test inventor for you.

if this works then there are several steps you can carry out to try to fix your own profile. we can discuss further if that is the case. (ie log back in as yourself, and we will advise which folders to delete, after which time starting inventor will regenerate the folders for you).

if you get the inventor working again on either original or new profile, be sure to create a new restore point in case it spits the dummy again and you need to get it sorted without the drama again.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 10 of 31
jmwoodring01
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

Good call--I created a new user and it works perfectly.

Message 11 of 31
Mark_Wigan

ok thanks for the update.

also, please consider the following next time you are on here...?

1. create a restore point on your pc (ensure you have allocated a good deal of disk space for restore points otherwise it will be gone next time you install something)
  2.  mark the solution as solved so others can find this when they are searching for answer to the same issue.
  3.  decide whether you wish to remain on your pc as the new user or if you need to keep the original user... then depending on that choice, look into the possibility of repairing some of your original inventor install or not. it may be something you can test whenever you have a spare hour. i will dig out some notes i made somewhere about this and post that info for you. (there will be a few posts on this forumn about it too if you evern want to investigate it yourself).

all the best.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 12 of 31
jmwoodring01

I would like to repair this profile, if at all possible, although it wouldn't be too unreasonable to have a profile dedicated to Autodesk programs, being I use the software almost exclusively for school projects.

I look forward to reading your notes and seeing what I can do the remedy the issue on my primary profile, nonetheless.

Thank you for your time and for the help!

Joeb

Message 13 of 31
blair

Try this link at Microsoft: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 14 of 31
e045400
in reply to: blair

I have the same problem. But this is a decision for now.

Message 15 of 31
mslosar

I've got this same basic issue.

Mine occurred when installing 2013 on a machine with 2010.

In 2013 everything works just fine.

In 2010 I cannot open the Add-ins manager at all. However, if I run as an admin it's fine. Problem is, the admin rights existed only for the install, i'm now back to standard user rights and add-ins does not work at all.

I have tried a new user profile. Same thing. Seems to be permissions based, but what permissions should be needed to load add-ins and open the manager?

Message 16 of 31
mrattray
in reply to: mslosar

You need to at least have power user rights, preferably admin rights in order to run Inventor. My understanding of the problem is Inventor needs to write to the system registry, and Windows requires at least power user rights in order for Inventor to be allowed to do so.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 17 of 31
mslosar
in reply to: mrattray

It makes sense, but i've been running 2010 with no problem with Win 7 basic user rights only the last year with no issues whatsoever. Adding 2013 seems to have caused all these issues. Makes no sense.

Message 18 of 31
mrattray

When you switch Inventor versions it registers itself with Windows. If it can't do that then you'll have problems. Switch your profile to power user, if it doesn't solve the problem then you can always change it back.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 19 of 31
mslosar

I get that and have come to largely the same conclusion myself. I've been trying to force 2010 to re-register on the screen like when you run it the first time but can't seem to do it. I figured that might straighten some things out.

However, i noticed yesterday that I can't run the style library manager or design assistant even with admin rights. DA just flashes quickly and goes away and the style library manager just generates a 'close this program' dialog. And that happens on a brand new profile as well. I need those - and iLogic  as well which won't load without rights.

Message 20 of 31
mslosar

As a clarification...

I tried power user rights and there was no difference.

Also, I can run ilogic and Design Assistant with admin rights - but not power user rights.

Style Manager generates an error even with admin rights.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report