Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a dome curve to a Gear Part from centre - NEWBIE

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
chillydk147
547 Views, 16 Replies

Add a dome curve to a Gear Part from centre - NEWBIE

Hello, I'm not sure how to describe what I'm trying to do here, basically I have a Gear Part and need to know how or if possible is it to add a dome like curve to it, almost so that it would wrap onto a sphere surface, attached is a gear with this feature, any help would be great

Tags (2)
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
JDMather
in reply to: chillydk147

@chillydk147 wrote:

... I have a Gear Part ....

Can you attach your *.ipt file here?
How much experience with Inventor do you have (this could be easy, or it could get complicated).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 17
chillydk147
in reply to: JDMather

Here you go, only basic expericence

Message 4 of 17
JDMather

I don't see any dimensions?

This is going to take a lot of work (maybe a couple of weeks).

Do you have that much time?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 17
chillydk147

Ok, I'll not bother if it's not possible to do within a reasonable amount of time
Message 6 of 17
JDMather

Well, it only takes 5 minutes, but first I was going to teach you how to use Inventor.

It is important to understand the basics early on before poor modeling techniques are developed.

Message 7 of 17
chillydk147

I'm not quite sure what you mean, I've added some dimensions to the 2D sketch, see attached

Message 8 of 17
JDMather

This dimension does not make logical sense to me.

How did you determine this dimension?

Logic 101.png

Message 9 of 17
JDMather

This dimension does not make logical sense to me.

How did you determine this dimension?

Logic 102.png

Message 10 of 17
chillydk147

This is just a drawing with random dimensions, it was never meant for a real part, I only wanted to extrude the sketch and hopefully distort somehow to create the dome effect
Message 11 of 17
JDMather

@chillydk147 wrote:
This is just a drawing with random dimensions,....

No.  The geometry is not random.  It is perfect.  You added random dimensions with no logic, but when I dimension (without changing the geometry) all the dimensions except for the angle make perfect logical sense.

This means that the original geometry was created in a logical technique, but at some point the dimensions were removed.

Why?  What happened to the logical dimensions used to create this geometry?

This image shows ALL of the dimensions needed to create and fully define YOUR sketch.

Did you get this sketch from someone else?

You will have trouble following my further instructions if this is your sketch, yet you do not know how you created it.

First we need to establish a strong foundation before moving on to more complex features.

Fully Defined.png

Message 12 of 17
JDMather

Once the foundation techniques are mastered - the part might be very easy.

Are you going to 3D print this?

Do you want the gears to move?

Model.png

Message 13 of 17
chillydk147

Sorry I think I'm been misunderstood here, this will never be 3D printed etc, this is purely an exercise to produce a Graphic which will have a logo decal on the Gear Face, I know the dimensions may not make sense but they don't have to, they only have to be a rough size in order to achieve the look I want, so I'm eager to know how you did what's shown in your last post. 🙂
Message 14 of 17
JDMather

Can you answer this question -

exactly who created the sketch - the dimensions do make sense.  On the other hand the dimensions you added do not make sense.

Did you delete dimensions from the original sketch? (somebody did)  If so, why?

In order to make this logo - you will have to understand dimensioning.  Whoever created the original sketch did understand dimensioning as that person used perfect dimensions (except for the angle, but that can be overlooked).  It is apparent from your attempt at dimensioning that you do not fully understand dimensioning.

Message 15 of 17
chillydk147

I created the sketch, starting with a 50mm diameter circle, then I added a random gear tooth shape and repeated it around the circle, I've created another part, a simpler design and with all the important dimensions included, see attached

Message 16 of 17
Rory_M

Is this what you're looking for? See attached file.

The gear profile I've created is pretty basic and just for the purposes of this explanation so the dims may not be too logical.

The part contains 2 relatively simple features that should get you the shape you are after.

One loft to a point to create the basic gear shape with angled sides and then the revolve (intersect) which makes it domed.

Hope this is useful. It's in 2015 format by the way.

Rory

Message 17 of 17
chillydk147
in reply to: Rory_M

Thanks this really helped me understand how to construct what I need.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report