Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADAPTIVITY - It Does Not Work - Need Help

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
Anonymous
1956 Views, 23 Replies

ADAPTIVITY - It Does Not Work - Need Help

Dear All,

My name is Hiandy and I am using Inventor Professional 2014.

I am having a problem in understanding adaptivity. Please see the folder adaptivity 2. I want to change width and height of beam A. I am expecting beam B and beam C will follow the change by adaptivity feature. But, when I activated the adaptivity on extrusion, the adaptivity did not apply on the sketch. Why?

Then, I make an experiment (please see folder adaptivity 1). The sketch can be adaptive, but when I changed the sizes of beam. The other beam did not follow the change.

Please let me know if you could not find those files on attachment.

It would be kind of you if you could share your solutions with me.

Thank you.

Regards,

Hiandy

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
azott
in reply to: Anonymous

dear hiandy,
adaptivity works overall. for example one box and bottom face drill hole, second part is exactly same hole diameter extrusion.( EXACTLY SAME) and this example change hole diameter and change part 2 but if you draw on the hole diameter face concentric circle diameter and change the hole diameter didn't changed. only be face adaptivity.
Message 3 of 24
johnsonshiue

Hi! "ADAPTIVE2" fails to work because none of the parts and features are adaptive. "ADAPTIVE1" fails because there are no assembly constraints to force the adaptive feature to adapt.

Adaptive though a bit different from regular modeling techniques, is not hard to understand. It mainly consists of two ways to adapt. First, you can project face loops or edges from one part to another part within the same assembly. When the face loops or edges in the driver part change, it will propagate to the adaptive part.

Second, an under-constrained sketch can be made adaptive. You can create assembly constraints between adaptive sketch or adaptive feature (consuming an adaptive sketch) and geometry from other parts. The benefit is to allow assembly constraint to drive adaptive part sketch or feature. This is what "ADAPTIVE1" is lacking.

I suggest you take a look at Inventor Help about Adaptive. Or, you can search the board for any resolved "Adaptive" discussion.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: azott

Hi motaba,

Thank you for your reply. I will take a look into it first and will try to understand your explanation.

I hope you don't mind if I come back to you with other questions.

Regards,

Hiandy

Message 5 of 24
JDMather

Start very simple.

Do you know how to Project Geometry from a part edge into a new sketch in the part modeling environment?

Do you understand how this works in the part environment when you make changes to features earlier in the design tree?

Now take this over to the assembly environment.

You already have geometry (a part) in the assembly.

You start a new part in the assembly.

You start a new sketch to create the new part's geometry.

You want the new part to be based on geometry in the existing part in the assembly.

Project Geometry edges from the existing part into the sketch for your new part.

Create your geometry.

Edit the 1st part and observe how it changes the 2nd part.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Hi JDMather,

Thank you for your help. I will follow your advice first and let me see how it goes.

Regards,

Hiandy

Message 7 of 24
Mario428

This is only my opinion but adaptivity from part to part simply does not work in Inventor. Had a very simple door I was working on today. There is a cutout with edges adaptive to the hinges. I needed several sizes of doors and the hinges were always 4 inches from the edge. Changing the size of the door and my cutout adaptive links had to be redefined. Simplest thing in the world but refused to work.

Working with a core part on the other hand works better, not perfect but better.

Part to part adaptivity in an assembly does not work worth a nickel, expect issues if the parts change and you chase your tail every time.

IMHO

Message 8 of 24
blair
in reply to: Mario428

I only use Adaptivivity only at the beginning while designing assemblies. As soon as I can clear the Adaptivity, I make it my priority. It's great for transferring Hole and Cut data across or in simple assemblies. It slows down the system on large complex assemblies and if you end up with to many parts in a IAM file Adaptive, you can expect strange things to happen

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 24
JDMather

@Mario428 wrote:

This is only my opinion but adaptivity from part to part simply does not work in Inventor.

Works fine for me, but I am very careful how I use and only make limited, logical use.
Almost every example I see is done incorrectly IMO.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 10 of 24
Mario428

@Anonymous wrote:

@Mario428 wrote:

This is only my opinion but adaptivity from part to part simply does not work in Inventor.

Works fine for me, but I am very careful how I use and only make limited, logical use.

The example I cited was simply 2 lines projected from my hinge. The hinge was constrained to the side of the door. 2 of my cut lines were constrained to the hinges lines. Could not be simpler but it did not work.

The interesting thing is Autodesk knows how much of an issue it is. They give the option of turning adaptivity on and off because it bogs down even a small assembly. To edit the parts adaptivity must be turned back on and hope that all the right parts were set correctly, then turn it off again to continue working.

Other solid modellers do it transparently and do it very well. I worked in Solidworks for many years and it is absurd what I do in Inventor to avoid adaptivity because it is such a pain to use and works so badly.

Message 11 of 24
JDMather

@Mario428 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Mario428 wrote:

The example I cited was simply 2 lines projected from my hinge. The hinge was constrained to the side of the door. 2 of my cut ....

You should post examples here that do not work.

Message 12 of 24
Mario428

@Anonymous wrote:

@Mario428 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Mario428 wrote:

The example I cited was simply 2 lines projected from my hinge. The hinge was constrained to the side of the door. 2 of my cut ....

Too many to bother and I have read all the posts, the tutorials and whatever else I could find. Adaptivity simply works very badly. Even you admit to only using a sparingly, why is that????  Because it is a PITA to use, thats why!!!

The only way it works is using a core part to work off of, even then it is chancy.  If I had never used anything but Inventor I would never have noticed the difference. But being able to work top down in Solidworks has spoiled me.

Message 13 of 24
JDMather

@Mario428 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Mario428 wrote:

If I had never used anything but Inventor I would never have noticed the difference. But being able to work top down in Solidworks has spoiled me.

Post the an example of a SolidWorks solution and and an Inventor example of the same attempt that doesn't work.

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson,

I am very glad on receiving your response. Let me take a look into it first and will come back if I have other questions.

By the way, I also sent an email to your other email address. I would really appreciate if you could give it a reply.

Thank you.

Regards,

Hiandy

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous

Hi JDMather & Mario428,

I am enjoying the communication from the experts like both of you over the topic of adaptivity. In some ways, it broadens my horizon about the inventor.

Thank you very much for both of you.

Regards,

Hiandy

Message 16 of 24
Mario428

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi JDMather & Mario428,

I am enjoying the communication from the experts like both of you over the topic of adaptivity. In some ways, it broadens my horizon about the inventor.

Thank you very much for both of you.

Regards,

Hiandy

Please do not mistake me for an expert in Inventor!!!!!!  LOL

Was a Solidworks user for many years and still figuring out the differences between the 2 softwares.

I am sure there are the right places and times to use adaptivity. I am doing a small project now using a core part and will build adaptive parts off it. Will share when done for critique.

Message 17 of 24
JDMather

One way to improve Inventor is by demonstrating weaknesses, but without documentation it is difficult.

Message 18 of 24
Mario428

Have attached an example of adaptive parts made using a core part, hope I included enough files to make it work.

Does not work as well as it should though. Simplest change seems to throw it for a loop.

8885-65 Chute Core is the core part that the rest are built from, changes to it should reflect in the other parts. The angle braces are not adaptive, length is driven by requirements of our BOM.

Message 19 of 24
Mario428

Forget my example, it is a prime example of how badly Inventor does adaptivity.

Made a small change to my core part and I now have an incredible mess to clean up.

Another harsh lesson in trying to do with Inventor what every other solid modeller does with ease simply cannot be done in Inventor.

JDMather, try shortening my core part by an inch and making the bottom narrow part 16 inches wide.

Message 20 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson,

Good day to you. Thank you for your advice. I followed it and it worked well on my work.

Now, I need your advice again. Please see a file on attachment. Why the "adaptive" is not active (grey) for a part on assembly environment, while I can choose it on part environment.

Let me hear from you.

Thank you.

Regards,

Hiandy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report