Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptivity in Weldment Machining

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
tbachelder
591 Views, 7 Replies

Adaptivity in Weldment Machining

I've recently been experimenting with adaptivity, I had been reluctant to use this function because everytime I did in the past something always goes horribly wrong. But this time, this new project, I dove in determined to learn how to make adaptivity work for me or me for it.

So I started my project, the design is basically a bulkhead chassis design with multiple access panels on all 3 sides. I wanted all of the hole patterns on this assembly to be based on one sketch. So I created a base part inside the assembly, this part compiled of sketches and the sketches compiled of construct lines and points (for panel and chassis fastener hole patterns). This was going great, after learning a couple tricks.

Manufactuing had determined that I need to machine the holes on the chassis after welding. Which means I need to move the adaptive features, from the part files, to the assembly file.

So here is my problem, assembly sketchs are not adaptable? Either projecting to (from that base part file), or projecting from (from the assembly sketch to the part file). I tried both.

Can anyone prove me wrong, does any one have any tips to how I should model this? How do I make weldment machining adaptive?

Thanks,

TRavis

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
karthur1
in reply to: tbachelder

Travis,

There is no way to make the machined features adaptive (AFAIK).  But, here is a trick that I use.

In the base part, put in all the holes.  Now in the component of the weldment that will eventually get the machined hole, place a small hole there in the part. (You can make it whatever size you want, u can change it later). Now, in the machining enviro, start a sketch and project the hole diameter to your sketch and use the center point to do the machining.

To change the location of the machined hole, change it in the master part.  It should move when updated.

I usually drive the hole size in my weldment with a parameter. Name it like "Layout_hole" or something.  When doing the layout, I make the small hole in my part large enough for me to find it.  After I am finished with the design and have everything like I want it, I change the parameter value to like .001.  That way it does not show up on the weldment parts. 

Attached is a sample in 2013.

Kirk

Message 3 of 8
tbachelder
in reply to: karthur1

Great tip! I think that's how I'll do it.

One of the things I learned in adaptivity is that it doesn't like projected geometry. For example if I project a circle from a hole on one part (partA) to another (partB) and use that center point to create a hole then when I move the hole on PartA I notice that the projected geometry is reprojected which breaks the link.

That may be the case for that instance, but I forget about the difference between Adaptivity and Project Goemetery. The machining enviroment must look at the assembly as a single part (that you can only remove material from). Which explains the non-adaptability I suppose.

Thanks!!!

Message 4 of 8

I'm doing what you said but instead of making small holes I copy all the objects that I want as a surface and then I can project the entities I want in the weldment assembly environment. That way I don't have any holes in the part and I can sent them for cutting processes.

Also I noticed a very interesting functionality, the parts can move and you can have adaptivity and flexebility ON at same time!! I will try to make a energy chain with this method!

Manuel Campos Costa
Message 5 of 8

@Manuelcamposcosta wrote:

I'm doing what you said but instead of making small holes I copy all the objects that I want as a surface and then I can project the entities I want in the weldment assembly environment. That way I don't have any holes in the part and I can sent them for cutting processes.

Also I noticed a very interesting functionality, the parts can move and you can have adaptivity and flexebility ON at same time!! I will try to make a energy chain with this method!

That is interesting.  

If you do the e-chain, I would like to see it.  Its always a challenge to model that, especially to get it to move with the assembly.

Message 6 of 8
llorden4
in reply to: tbachelder

I've found the failure usually lies with the "projection", which often fails as your part features change.  Duplicating sketches to determine locations within variation typically solves my issues.

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Message 7 of 8
johnsonshiue
in reply to: karthur1

Hi Kirk,

The workflow Manuel is using is called Copy Objects (adaptive body). It is a very powerful workflow to cut geometry oin one part using geometry from another component.

In general, you have to create sketch to generate geometry. But, after body geometry is formed, I would try to reuse the body geometry in any possible way. I would try limiting sketch or projection. The more sketches you create, the more complex the model becomes. In the end, it is very hard to tell the relationship between geometry. When there is an issue, it is almost impossible to rewind the model.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 8

I will try to post a youtube video this weekend, I already made what I wanted and it's working, it just have some limitations in upper levels of assemblies, but the trick is to place the movable last link in the upper level you will want it to move.

Manuel Campos Costa

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report