Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive springs and cam following

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
Anonymous
2875 Views, 26 Replies

Adaptive springs and cam following

GDay All,

I have a few questions that are sort of related, but the first question is of more concern at this point.

I am trying to create a moving valve train in my engine model. So far, I have the crank, pistons, cam, lifters, pushrods, rocker arms and valves moving more or less as they should (see Question 2). So I thought I would add an adaptive spring to the mix. I followed this tutorial on Youtube to make the adaptive spring:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaKX68LjhUo

But, when I add a second spring to the assembly, I am not able to make it adaptive. The option for 'adaptive' is greyed out and cannot be selected.

Question 1.
Why can I not make the second spring adaptive?

Question 1a.
Why can't I drive a constraint to move the spring that IS adaptive? (there is only one spring in the assembly at present 😉

Question 2.
In Inventor 200x I was able to add a tangent constraint between the cam lobe and the lifter, and the lifter would follow the cam lobe profile as it was rotated, but in 20xx onwards you can no longer do this, why not?

I managed to fudge a connection between the cam lobe and lifter so that it sort of works, but I would like to make it work the way it used to (IE: the lifter follows the profile of the cam lobe). Anyone got any ideas on making it work in 2013 Pro?

Any help, hints, ideas welcome 🙂

26 REPLIES 26
Message 21 of 27
lis_wang
in reply to: henderh

I created a cam shaft which the cam motion function is the same as yours. However why my acceleration profile has sharp change at 90degree? Please see the screen shot here. I also attached my file here. Please check for me what wrong with my file

screen shot.png

Message 22 of 27
WHolzwarth
in reply to: lis_wang

IMO that's ok. Your cam has no symmetry, therefore you have a steeper change of diameter, and a slighter change. At the connection of both, there's a sudden change of the velocity curve tangent, which means a  jump in acceleration (red curve), too.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 23 of 27
lis_wang
in reply to: WHolzwarth

How to make the cam symmetry? I use the same motion as yours.

Message 24 of 27
JDMather

If you set the second segment to Double Harmonic-Part 2 motion law rather than Harmonic (sinusiodal) the acceleration curve would be smooth.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 25 of 27
lis_wang
in reply to: JDMather

HI, JD. I got it. What is "Actual Segment"?

Message 26 of 27
JDMather

You can create any number of segments dividing up the 360°.

The Actual Segment is the active segment that you are editing and that the parameters are shown in the dialog box.

Each segment has a number, and also, when you click within the segment in the dislacement diagram it highlights the boundary with dashed line and shows the "Actual Segment" number.  I think they should have named this "Active Segment" rather than Actual Segment.  I would be surprised if it wasn't a translation error from some other language (like maybe French?).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 27 of 27
lis_wang
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks. I got it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report