Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive Roll Cover

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
pball
622 Views, 11 Replies

Adaptive Roll Cover

I'm trying to make what should be a simple assembly other than making one part adaptive. I'm trying to make a roll cover, think window shade. It's just a stand in part so it just only needs the cylinder the cover rolls up on, the stretched out fabric coming off it, and a bar at the end that the fabric is attached too.

I have a picture attached of a side view. I'm stuck making the fabric adaptive between the roll and the end piece. I want to have these three parts in an assembly which I could turn adaptive or flexible in my main assembly. Then the roll would be fixed and the end bar would be constrained to a moving part and the fabric would "roll in and out" as the end bar moves. Thanks for any help.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mrattray
in reply to: pball

Can you post the model files here?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 12
pball
in reply to: mrattray

Well here is the assembly and parts. The fabric piece will probably have to be redrawn or something to make it work.

Message 4 of 12
royjohansen

So, how did this go? I'm working on the exact same thing trying to figure it out now...

Message 5 of 12
pball
in reply to: royjohansen

Never figured it out. Gave up before wasting too much time, since I'd probably still be trying to make it work nearly 7 years later.

Message 6 of 12
JDMather

Animate Parameters.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi Guys,

I don't believe there is a way to do that. The issue here is that there is no sketch constraint or body feature to allow such deformation. The sketch will have to change from a straight line to a spiral. The body will have to roll accordingly. I don't think Inventor can do it. I am happy to be proven otherwise.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 12
WHolzwarth
in reply to: royjohansen

@royjohansen  schrieb:

So, how did this go? I'm working on the exact same thing trying to figure it out now...

Some years ago I've been playing with a LEGO Tow Truck and a crane hook animation. See attached video.

The fileset can be found at GrabCad:

https://grabcad.com/library/lego-technic-tow-truck-8462-1

The WMV there shows some other movements. Just now I've seen that the rotation of the drum in the GrabCad fileset probably needs to be inverted; I had to do that for the new video.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
admaiora
in reply to: WHolzwarth

@WHolzwarth  amazing work Walter!

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 10 of 12
Daniel248

I've modified the old models a little, and added linked parameters to make it work in Studio.

Attached is a small video and a P&G in ZIP, if anyone wants to "dissect".

(2020 format)

Message 11 of 12
Curtis_Waguespack

Attached is a 2020 iLogic version of this, it contains a couple of rules that will allow you to drag the slider to roll/unroll it or click the play button to auto roll/unroll it... the roll diameter calculation is just sort of fudged to look about right and not truly calculated.

image.png

Message 12 of 12

Good job, Curtis.

Here's the formula for the diameter:

https://rechneronline.de/rolle/

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report