Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive ipart?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
FritscheDesign
921 Views, 13 Replies

Adaptive ipart?

Does anyone know a work around for creating a "template" part to be adaptive in it's "length", yet an ipart for it's size?

My current method of doing this is having an ipart with all available sizes in my templates folder, I then place the part, choose the correct size and then delete the ipart factory from the part, which gives me access to the adaptive length extrusion, but lately it would be nice to retain the ipart choices so tomorrow when the Engineer what's a different size I could just update the part

Autodesk, is it possible to make this happen?
IV 2010 SP3
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
harco
in reply to: FritscheDesign

What you are looking for is a custom ipart.
Do a search here or have a look in the help files.
Make the column you want variable into a custom column.
You can then create any length you wish form one ipart.
The children are then saved in a folder of your choice with a name of your choice.
Length can then be changed easily in future, though your iproperties will be wiped out when you do.
This is how we create all of our steel sections.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

Here is a method - Video linked.... 2010 Parts attached.

http://teknigroup.com/Videos/InvDiscussions/Adaptable%20Part%20on%20Placement/Adaptable%20Part%20on%20Placement.html

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr. Tel. (260) 399-6615
http://teknigroup.com
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

BTW, the method I showed in th eprevious pat does not reflect using an
iPart. This is more of a generic answer.
--
Message 5 of 14

Yes, thanks for the info.

I do know how to make an adaptive part as well as an iassembly and adaptive assembly whether through constrains or through a excel file.

The question I"m try to get answered is how to make an "ipart" adaptive.
It seems every time I try this whether I have a custom length field or not I can't get to initial extrusion to be adaptive by constraints, even though the part is made adaptive as well as the feature, if it is an ipart.

If I choose the size I want from the ipart field, then delete the ipart factory, than magically the part is able to be constrained and the length as you know is adaptivable and automatic....
IV 2010 SP3
Message 6 of 14

a "custom ipart" yes is good, but what we are tryingt oavoid is having to hard type a dimension, we want our length adaptive to the constraint of that part. We are building a lot of steel shape frames and once the length and I Beam size is determined the width and cross members are secondary and we'd love for these to just follow suit based on constraints instead of having to hand type a dimension
IV 2010 SP3
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

If you are on Inventor 2009 or Inventor 2010 (I didn't see anywhere
where you mentioned what version you are using), then you should look at
publishing the structural shapes to content center as structural
components, then using frame generator. When this is done, you will not
have to define the links of your shapes, because when the shapes are
applied to the skeleton they will automatically adjust to the skeleton size.
--
Message 8 of 14

Yeah, we are on 2010 Pro, we tried that initially and weren't sold on it, but if there is no way to do the adaptive ipart we can take another look at the structural skeleton modeling.

Thanks for the help and suggestions
IV 2010 SP3
Message 9 of 14
kramster73

I've had some luck making an iPart that adapts its length according to the constraints.

I found that it would only work properly if the main extrusion was made from the centre (i.e. extruding both directions from centre of sketch). I then made the main extrusion adaptive (before publishing). You will want to make that extrusion size a custom column so that it prompts you to save as a new filename each time you place a new one from the library. You can have other features on the ends of the part, but depending on the features you may need to be careful what feature you are using when constraining the part. I've had one part that has been picky about that, but not on others.

The only thing I don't like is that I have to turn on adaptivity (component only; the extrusion is already adaptive) after placing (but before constraining) the component.

After constraining it, I can move the adjoining parts and it adjusts automatically to suit. I can also change the size of the part and it maintains its adaptive length. If I copy/paste/delete (I often use this to break all constraints associated with a part so I can easily constrain it to something else) , I have to make the new copy adaptive before it will work again.

It would be great if there was a way to have the component be adaptive by default when placing from the content centre. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know. Edited by: kramster73 on Nov 12, 2009 6:38 PM
Message 10 of 14

Thanks, i have already tried this with no luck, but I will make sure to follow the steps you took.
IV 2010 SP3
Message 11 of 14
kramster73

Let me know how you go. If you want I can email you the parts that I have made that are working so you can see exactly what I've done.
Message 12 of 14
barnadaniel
in reply to: kramster73

Hello

I have bounced exactly into the same problem, and before posting a new thread, I found this one.

Since then many years have passed, I am using Inventor 2012, but I still can not do what you originally asked/requested. 

I created a part (attached), which is practically a simple cylinder but constructed in a bit complicated way (length of the cylinder is driven by the first, unconstrained sketch - I did it like this because for the final, more complicated part that I wanted to create, this way was more adequate). When I made the first sketch adaptive, and placed this cylinder adaptively into an assembly, I could constrain its two endplanes to other geometry, and it adapted its length.

As soon as I made the cylinder an iPart (its diameter being a custom column), it lost adaptivity, I could not anyomore adjust its length within the assembly, adaptively.

Is there a solution for this?

Inventor Pro 2012

Message 13 of 14
WTayseer

The best practice to made adaptive i-part in an assembly is as follows: 1- Open the assembly 2- Insert the part that is not i-part yet 3- Make the part ADAPTIVE in the assembly (of course you have previously set the adaptive feature in the part file) 4- Apply the constraints to the part and make sure it adapts smoothly in the assembly 5- Open the part file 6- Apply the i-part property and set the table 7- Now the part in the assembly is adaptive i-part.
Message 14 of 14
johnsonshiue
in reply to: WTayseer

Hi! I would like to offer an opinion technically. Adaptive and iPart are actually mutually exclusive at the moment. The reason is pretty straight forward. iPart/iAssembly was designed to be table-driven components. The definitions of the iPart/iAssembly should always be driven by configurable items on the author table. Any attempt to alter the iPart/iAssembly outside of the table can run into roadblocks.

Adaptive is at technology allowing you to define or drive a particular part (and its occurrences) within an assembly it is in. Adaptive is context-sensitive, while iPart/iAssembly is not context-sensitive. This means an adaptive part can vary due to factors within the assembly. iPart/iAssembly will never change independent of where it exists. All definitions should be elaborated on the table.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report