Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive Changes without opening Assembly

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Lambrijr
236 Views, 4 Replies

Adaptive Changes without opening Assembly

SO here's the general scenario:

Our company has a number of 'standard' truck designs that we offer in a number of preset sizes, and we have drawings for those specific sizes. We thought that adaptive parts would be a way to offer up any size truck deck with minimal engineering required. So I created a deck part that is controlled via a linked Excel file, and everything resizes based on that.

The problem is, the sales people who who would be using these adaptive drawing files would just be using viewer, and not full Inventor. I have not been able to get the drawing file to update to a new size without opening the assembly and allowing it to 'fix' itself to the new dimensions. Does anyone know a way to bypass opening the assembly to force the components and drawing to resize to the correct dimensions?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
LichaoYu
in reply to: Lambrijr

Adaptivity is a functionality in Inventor assembly modeling. Therefore, it can only be used when assembly file is open.

Message 3 of 5
jletcher
in reply to: LichaoYu

Not so true..

You can write a VBA to run Inventor in silent mode to update the assembly and the drawing.  The salesman would fill in the information and hit update in excel it will then run Inventor in silent mode and update, can also save drawing in PDF and print with one click.. I lost my portable drive that had this for one client I had but may have the code at home on another computer.

Now if Autodesk comes and reads your post they can put a sample for you because I was working for them when this was done for an Inventor demo. I just took it and made it for client..

Now if Curtis see this he may have code also if not he could write it in 2 minutes.. Smiley Very Happy

You may also find code in the API or VBA help..

Message 4 of 5
raith-mb
in reply to: jletcher

@Anonymous wrote:

Not so true..

You can write a VBA to run Inventor in silent mode to update the assembly and the drawing.  

That's true. But the salesman only have Inventor View.

The VBA will not work with View.

Message 5 of 5
jletcher
in reply to: raith-mb

No but the update can be linked to a computer that has it so they can even do it from the customers office as long as he has internet and that computer is on.  Also they will not use Inventor so they could get a Inventor lite to do this.. Many ways to get around that issue..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report