Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive cable with FIXED length?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
409 Views, 6 Replies

Adaptive cable with FIXED length?

I am attempting to model an accessory for a Mitutoyo Indicator. It is a "Spindle Lifting Cable", part number 540774. First off, I do not have the Pro version of IV and will not be getting it either. Second, I have looked at the tutorials regarding adaptive 3d sketches and hoses, but the one shortcoming seems to be finding a way to contrain the total length of the cable to a fixed value, while still maintaining the ability to adjust the cable run. These cables only come in one fixed length and I would like to be able to position our cable holders to make sure they are not too far from the indicators. TIA, Bob S.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Use driven dimensions on your radii to recalculate the length of you straight runs. Just a theory. I've never actually done it. Matt
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Dimension Curve Length was on my wish list. We run into this alot where flat stock must follow a curved path but hold its length due to available lengths. -- Dave Hoder Product Design Engineer idX Seattle www.idxcorporation.com
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

.....and having the ability to dim curve length in an IDW and NOT in a IPT sketch just makes me crazy. I'm sure this lack of continuity between the drawing/modelling modules is just a sick twisted joke of some disallusioned developer. (the same guy that decided that projection should behave differently between IPT and IDW sketches) QBZ "Dave Hoder" wrote in message news:401a9681 $1_3@newsprd01... > Dimension Curve Length was on my wish list. We run into this alot where flat > stock must follow a curved path but hold its length due to available > lengths.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Here's a thought, for the path of the cable, create a construction line with a fixed center point and a set linear dimension. Have the ends of the line constrained to the ends of your path, so as one end of your path moves down, the construction line acts like a lever and causes the other end to move up. Of course this requires the path of the cable to be on a 2d sketch, and for the radius that runs over the pulley to be fixed, along with the center of that radius to be dimensioned. I'll try to get around to doing something that illustrates this later today. "Quinn Zander" wrote in message news:401a9829_1@newsprd01... > ....and having the ability to dim curve length in an IDW and NOT in a > IPT sketch just makes me crazy. > > I'm sure this lack of continuity between the drawing/modelling modules > is just a sick twisted joke of some disallusioned developer. (the same > guy that decided that projection should behave differently between IPT > and IDW sketches) > > QBZ > > > "Dave Hoder" > wrote in message news:401a9681 > $1_3@newsprd01... > > > Dimension Curve Length was on my wish list. We run into this alot > where flat > > stock must follow a curved path but hold its length due to available > > lengths. > >
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

I don't think having the cable constrainted to a 2d sketch would be acceptable, it needs to flow in 3 dimensions. I might just end up having to tweak the end positions and keep checking the length until it falls within a certain tolerance zone. Bob S. "Donovan Cox" wrote in message news:401e7501$1_1@newsprd01... > Here's a thought, for the path of the cable, create a construction line with > a fixed center point and a set linear dimension. Have the ends of the line > constrained to the ends of your path, so as one end of your path moves down, > the construction line acts like a lever and causes the other end to move up. > Of course this requires the path of the cable to be on a 2d sketch, and for > the radius that runs over the pulley to be fixed, along with the center of > that radius to be dimensioned. I'll try to get around to doing something > that illustrates this later today. > > "Quinn Zander" wrote in message > news:401a9829_1@newsprd01... > > ....and having the ability to dim curve length in an IDW and NOT in a > > IPT sketch just makes me crazy. > > > > I'm sure this lack of continuity between the drawing/modelling modules > > is just a sick twisted joke of some disallusioned developer. (the same > > guy that decided that projection should behave differently between IPT > > and IDW sketches) > > > > QBZ > > > > > > "Dave Hoder" > > wrote in message news:401a9681 > > $1_3@newsprd01... > > > > > Dimension Curve Length was on my wish list. We run into this alot > > where flat > > > stock must follow a curved path but hold its length due to available > > > lengths. > > > > > >
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Bob I've made an avi using almost the method i described. The difference is the Construction line does not have a set length. "Bob S." wrote in message news:401e7649$1_3@newsprd01... > I don't think having the cable constrainted to a 2d sketch would > be acceptable, it needs to flow in 3 dimensions. I might just end > up having to tweak the end positions and keep checking the length > until it falls within a certain tolerance zone. > > Bob S. > > "Donovan Cox" wrote in message news:401e7501$1_1@newsprd01... > > Here's a thought, for the path of the cable, create a construction line with > > a fixed center point and a set linear dimension. Have the ends of the line > > constrained to the ends of your path, so as one end of your path moves down, > > the construction line acts like a lever and causes the other end to move up. > > Of course this requires the path of the cable to be on a 2d sketch, and for > > the radius that runs over the pulley to be fixed, along with the center of > > that radius to be dimensioned. I'll try to get around to doing something > > that illustrates this later today. > > > > "Quinn Zander" wrote in message > > news:401a9829_1@newsprd01... > > > ....and having the ability to dim curve length in an IDW and NOT in a > > > IPT sketch just makes me crazy. > > > > > > I'm sure this lack of continuity between the drawing/modelling modules > > > is just a sick twisted joke of some disallusioned developer. (the same > > > guy that decided that projection should behave differently between IPT > > > and IDW sketches) > > > > > > QBZ > > > > > > > > > "Dave Hoder" > > > wrote in message news:401a9681 > > > $1_3@newsprd01... > > > > > > > Dimension Curve Length was on my wish list. We run into this alot > > > where flat > > > > stock must follow a curved path but hold its length due to available > > > > lengths. > > > > > > > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report