Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive Assembly

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
karthur1
991 Views, 23 Replies

Adaptive Assembly

I am trying to make an Adaptive assembly. Normaly, I shy away from adaptivity like the plague, but I have a case where it would really be nice if I could get this to work.  Basically, I want my assembly to adjust itself if the member that it is attached to changes.  I have attached my files. Can someone take a look and tell me if this is possible or not.... I cant get it to work.

In my "Adaptive Test.iam", change the constraint "Change this to vary length".  When you do, notice the "Leg Test Angle" adjusts its length accordingly.  Notice this is not an iam, but a ipt.

Now, unsupress the "Mate:6".  When you do, you will see a constraint error and the assembly will not adjust right.  What should happen is the clip angle should move down to the hole and the vertical leg should also adjust.

These are 2013 files.  Have not moved to 2014 in production yet.

Thanks

Adaptive_Test.png

Tags (1)
23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
karthur1
in reply to: swhite

Incompatible versions... thats a bummer.

The single part would adjust when constrained to the workplane.  I then ruled that out a the trouble and concentrated on the assembly.  The only contraints I have is the flush 8 (which constrains the top of the leg to the workplane) and a flush constraint that constrains the bottom of the assembly to the origin plane.

When I get a chance, I will rebuild my parts from scratch.

Thanks

Message 22 of 24
swhite
in reply to: karthur1

Make sure you constrin them so they do not move left to right as well, but that doesn't seem to me to be causing the issue. Is the plate in the assembly on the right constrained in place? in its assembly? You can ground it in that assembly if need be and you might need to so inventor knows its not supposed to move, but if fully constrained that shouldn't matter either. Ahhhh, you might also check to make sure you inserted that angle as a custom part not as a standard content center part as well, but then you cldnt rename it if it was a standard content part, so that's prob not it.

i think I see the issue, you have an assembly you made adaptive (adaptive weld test), inside another assembly you have adaptive (Adaptive weldment test)  inside your assembly. You have to put the adaptive assembly straight into the main assembly, you cannot have tiered adaptive sub-assemblies. Just move the plate to the adaptive weld test and insert that into your main assembly.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 23 of 24
johnsonshiue
in reply to: karthur1

Kirk,

I took a quick look. I saw two places which could potentially lead to problems. First, "Leg Test-01.ipt" is an adaptive part without any adaptive feature. If I make Angle Extrusion adaptive, it seems to work for me but I am not sure if it obeys your design intent. Second, the ground status seems to be misplaced on some components. The general rule of thumb in Adaptivity is to avoid grounding adaptive components but make sure the components that are not supposed to move are indeed grounded.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 24 of 24
karthur1
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I made the "Angle Extrusion" feature adaptive and it adjusts now.Smiley Happy

My original post would not work because of the same "Non" adaptive feature.  I am reposting my original fileset for future reference.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Kirk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report