Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive Assembly

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
karthur1
993 Views, 23 Replies

Adaptive Assembly

I am trying to make an Adaptive assembly. Normaly, I shy away from adaptivity like the plague, but I have a case where it would really be nice if I could get this to work.  Basically, I want my assembly to adjust itself if the member that it is attached to changes.  I have attached my files. Can someone take a look and tell me if this is possible or not.... I cant get it to work.

In my "Adaptive Test.iam", change the constraint "Change this to vary length".  When you do, notice the "Leg Test Angle" adjusts its length accordingly.  Notice this is not an iam, but a ipt.

Now, unsupress the "Mate:6".  When you do, you will see a constraint error and the assembly will not adjust right.  What should happen is the clip angle should move down to the hole and the vertical leg should also adjust.

These are 2013 files.  Have not moved to 2014 in production yet.

Thanks

Adaptive_Test.png

Tags (1)
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
andrewiv
in reply to: karthur1

I can't look at the files, because we are still on 2012, but if I understand the issue correctly wouldn't flexibility be what you want?  You also have to make sure that there are no constraints inside the sub-assembly that would contradict what you are trying to do on the upper level.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 3 of 24
cbenner

This looks like a perfect case for Frame Generator.  Modify the sketch that frame is built on, rebuild all, and the frame members move as needed, including any end treatments.

Message 4 of 24
karthur1
in reply to: cbenner

Chris,

If I use FG to do this, can I make the main sketch adaptive and then all the members will adjust?  I guess I will have to do a copy design on each subassy and place it in the assy, then constrain it so it will adjust for the correct length.

I am building a sloped ramp and these are the supporting legs under it.  They are placed along the length of the ramp, so each one is a different length.

Message 5 of 24
cbenner

OK... I think I see where you're going, but not sure.  Is it something like this that you are after, with the length of the angled piece adjustable based on the distance between the two vertical legs?

Or am I not seeing what you're after?

ang.JPG

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous

I can not for the life of me remember where I have seen the example, But isnt there a way to make a single assembly, and then have it adapt its size accordingly based upon the pattern set and guide-lines? It has something to do with iassemblies I believe, and is somewhere in the basic help in inventor, just cant find it now. One sinmply defines the connection points and patterns the assembly and it automatically adjusts size and parts as needed. Am sure someone on here knows what I am trying to remember.

Or do you just want it to do like in the included example? Simply change the sketch measurement. Can do the same thing with adaptivity, its just 3 times harder to set up is all.

Message 7 of 24
karthur1
in reply to: cbenner

Sort of.... but the slope is going the other way.  The angle that you have sloped will stay horizontal.  As its elevation changes relative to the base of the leg, the leg will adjust vertically to match.  A side view of the ramp with the legs under it looks like this.

2013-05-06_0949.png

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous

perfect for the example I am think of but can not remember for the life of me 🙂

Message 9 of 24
karthur1
in reply to: Anonymous

Steven,

I think what you are describing is called "iCopy".  I have tried that before, and have had mixed success with it.  I thought that adaptivity would be a perfect match for this... maybe not, idk.

Message 10 of 24
Anonymous

Have you worked with Frame generator? I included a quick one just to see if that way might be of interest to you, if so we can discuss how to make your hole patterns also add more or less holes with the length change. And yes, I could make your example work with adaptivity very easily, but Frame Generator is really the way to go. But you do realize that either way you go you are going to have to copy and rename parts for each new instance of part sizes, unless you make an iassembly.

Message 11 of 24
karthur1

Yes, I realize each instance will have to have a new part number. I would like to see how to do it with adaptivity. I think that I can do it also with FG. I just dont know how to make the number of holes change as the part length changes.

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous

Then see if this is what you want, right now you have to manually change the length of part 1 by going into its parameters and changing BL, but if this is the basic idea then we can make it work by setting up workplanes instead. just throwing together something quick is all to find what you are looking for.

Message 13 of 24
Ray_Feiler

Here is something for you to play with. I don't have 2013 loaded anymore so I did this in 2012. The height of Steel Angle04 drives this assembly.

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 14 of 24
karthur1

Yes, Thats what I'm trying to do.  So in my assembly, I need to have workplanes at each place these legs are that sets the elevation of the holes?

I was trying to use insert constraints and constrain the hole in my legs to the holes in my structure.  When the structure moved, I wanted the leg to adjust.  Seems logical, but dont guess it works that way.

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous

Actually it would be best if you put your WP at the hight you want the angles to be, or your hole height plus the distance to the top of the angle. I added a WP to the assembly and made part 1 adaptive. Now if you change the height of the WP the parts will adapt to match. Just name the WP something unique so you know that is what changes the assemblies height. I'll have the hole solution in a bit after I get a cple dwgs out 🙂

it didnt work because the hole location has nothing to do with how long the angle is, nor does it control the length of the part, even tho it might seem that if the hole is 3" from the top then if the constrint moves the angle must increase, but sadly it doesn't work that way 🙂 if you notice I made the extrusions in each angle adaptive, then set adaptivity in the main assembly as well.

Message 16 of 24
karthur1

ok.. thanks.  Will have to play with it a bit.

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous

i guess i should clarify that where you set the WP is totally up to you. You could set it at hole height if that is your main setting dimension, and then using either mates or flushes offset your cantraints negatively or positively the hole distance for your angle uprights and constrin the horizontal member with an offset so its holes align with the WP. That may indeed be best if hole height is your main factor so it doesnt depend on anyone knowing the hole offset distance from the end of the angles. But if that can vary depending on having the height fit at a certain spot, then overall height might be best. just depends on your need.

Message 18 of 24
mrattray

This is what iCopy is for.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 19 of 24
karthur1

Steve,

I looked over what you had and it was really similar to what I had originally posted.  Only difference was you were constraining to a "face" and I was constraining using an axis in the hole center.  I have all the necessary members set to adaptive as well as the sub assemblies that change.

So, it boils down to my one leg subassembly and a workplane.In theory, I should be able to constrain the top end of this leg to a workplane.  If the workplane moves, then the leg should adjust.  I tried the theory on your assembly (assembly.iam) and it works.  When I tried the same on mine, the constraint fails and I cant figure out why.

If you could, look at the attached (Adaptivity Test2.iam). See if you can tell me why the "Flush 8" constraint fails.

Thanks,

Kirk

Message 20 of 24
Anonymous

Sorry, but I am using 2011 and it appears you are using 2012, so you can open mine, but.... 🙂

Make sure the assemblies or parts you want to adjust size are not grounded. They must be instead fully constrained in place. To the ground plane and then either both to the WP or one to the WP and the other flush with the other part. My suggestion, delete flush 8, get the single part working, then constrain the top of the other part to the WP or flush with the first part.

Although it doesn not seem to be grounded by your first screenshot. So I expect you have a constraint in place interfering with flush 8

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report