Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptable Subassemblies

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
rstadler
109 Views, 2 Replies

Adaptable Subassemblies

I'm trying to do the following:

I have MainAssembly1.iam and MainAssembly2.iam
Each of these main assemblies contain a subassembly call SubAssembly.iam - with me so far.

SubAssembly.iam for the sake of simplicity contains three parts, PartA.ipt, PartB.ipt and PartC.ipt (in the real world there are many parts making up this subassembly) - still with me?

Now the question - I want to place SubAssembly.iam under each of the two main assemblies, but I want PartA.ipt to be in a different location in MainAssembly1.iam then in MainAssembly2.iam.

The only way that I have been able to do this is to create two different subassembly iam files (one with PartA.ipt in one location and one with PartA.ipt in another location).

Background info:
The main assembly is an adjustable/universal loading mechanism that we use on several of our machines. The loading mechanism has about 200 parts. When I add this universal loading mechanism to our various machines, I want to be able to set the adjustable components to the correct location for that particular machine without having to create a new subassembly for each configuration.

Can this be done or have I confused everyone?
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: rstadler

R9 introduced flexible assemblies. I think this is what you want. E.g. showing the same air cylinder assembly in both extended and retracted mode. -- Sean Dotson, PE www.sdotson.com Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert Sidel, Engineering & Manufacturing Manager "rstadler" wrote in message news:26750627.1097084145370.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I'm trying to do the following: > > I have MainAssembly1.iam and MainAssembly2.iam > Each of these main assemblies contain a subassembly call SubAssembly.iam - with me so far. > > SubAssembly.iam for the sake of simplicity contains three parts, PartA.ipt, PartB.ipt and PartC.ipt (in the real world there are many parts making up this subassembly) - still with me? > > Now the question - I want to place SubAssembly.iam under each of the two main assemblies, but I want PartA.ipt to be in a different location in MainAssembly1.iam then in MainAssembly2.iam. > > The only way that I have been able to do this is to create two different subassembly iam files (one with PartA.ipt in one location and one with PartA.ipt in another location). > > Background info: > The main assembly is an adjustable/universal loading mechanism that we use on several of our machines. The loading mechanism has about 200 parts. When I add this universal loading mechanism to our various machines, I want to be able to set the adjustable components to the correct location for that particular machine without having to create a new subassembly for each configuration. > > Can this be done or have I confused everyone?
Message 3 of 3
rstadler
in reply to: rstadler

This is exactly what I want - havn't upgraded to R9 as yet. R8 is running so good, I hate to mess up a good thing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report