Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adam's Problem. This is a troublesome Rib. :)

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
rickduley
1652 Views, 10 Replies

Adam's Problem. This is a troublesome Rib. :)

This is my attempt at exercise 6.111 Ejector Base from

Giesecke F.E., Mitchell A., Spencer H.C., Hill I.L., Dygdon J.T., & Novak J.E. (2014). Technical Drawing. Upper Saddle River (NJ) USA: Prentice Hall

p. 212.

6-111 Ejector Base 400x487.jpg

That slanted rib took me about three hours to solve.  It's still not quite according to the drawing given, but I don't know if you can create it to the drawing given.

How would a Guru have done it?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
IgorMir
in reply to: rickduley

Hi Rick,

Fillet 1 needs some more work on it, but it should give you an idea anyway. The file is in IV2010 format.

Cheers,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 3 of 11
rickduley
in reply to: IgorMir

That looks much more better!   Smiley Happy

The key is, "How did you define that plane?"

That's what I had trouble doing.

Message 4 of 11
IgorMir

Hi Rick,

The plane is defined by the line in the shared sketch and tangent to the surface of that round body at the bottom. Turn the visibility of the shared sketch and the plan ON - you will see how it was built.

Regards,

Igor.

Message 5 of 11
rickduley

I can see the arcs to which the plane is tangental but there are the only options for creating a Plane in Inventor 2015:

_Plane_Options.jpg

I cannot see one which allows for being tangental at both ends.  Which one did you use?

Message 6 of 11
IgorMir

Try "Tangent to surface through edge" option. It should pick the elements of the sketch as well. Here is a snapshot.

Cheers,

Igor.

Message 7 of 11
rickduley

I am afraid you're going to have to let me down gently, Igor.

Some folk say I'm getting dumber as I get older - God alone knows what'll happen in the next 20yrs - but I just cannot get what you have done. 

We must be working in 3D Model mode or we can't create a workplane.  I can make Sketch 3 visible and see the extrusion circle and the construction circle needed.  I can even get them to highlight by hovering the cursor over them.

_Igor's_Workplane.jpg

However, as soon as I click on "Tangent to Surface through Edge" I cannot get the highlights and cannot select anything.

Sorry to be a pain, but, "What am I missing?"  (Apart from a couple of marbles in the attic, that is! Smiley Frustrated )

Message 8 of 11
-niels-

Hope this video helps, used Igor's part

Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 9 of 11
rickduley
in reply to: -niels-

Nice work, Niels.  It was that construction line in Sketch 3 I wasn't paying attention to.

You have to get so you can see the surface you want to be tangental to AND the line.  Ah Hah!

Thanks to you both.  I think I have it.

Message 10 of 11
IgorMir
in reply to: -niels-

That's the one, thanks Niels!

Cheers,

Igor.

Message 11 of 11
rdyson

In case you haven't dicovered it yet, you can determine how work features were created by using "show inputs"

image.jpg

Capture1.JPG

PDSU 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report