Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active Inventor Project file changes randomly on different users machines

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
jparks_79
1264 Views, 10 Replies

Active Inventor Project file changes randomly on different users machines

Hello,

We have had this issue now for a couple years and don't know what is causing it. We are using vault pro with admin set single project file. A user can work for months using correct.ipj, then randomly at 10:42 they will notice the active project was been changed to some other temporary project location "c:\temp.....". Then it will happen to different users at different times. I cant seem to find any correlation to anything. I can only imagine that it is somehow triggered from the vault addin.

Has anyone else had any experience with this issue? We are inventor 1012 and vault 2012 pro.

Thanks,

Jeremy

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
cbenner
in reply to: jparks_79

Message 3 of 11
jparks_79

Hi Chris,

I was a little torn which place to post the question. But I ended up placing it here because the problem I actully see is with inventor changing inventor project file with out notice.

There isn't any rhyme or reason that we can find. My only guess is that it might get changed when a user opens a file from vault sometimes. But that is a complete shot in the dark, as we only have a single project for the entire company. So there really isn't anything recorded in the logs about the project file, unless an admin changes the default(i am on guessing on this one) Otherwise, no error is presented to the user until they go and try to check their files back into the vault and the addin isn't active because the project file was changed to a non vault project.

Lets see, if I don't get any bites here, i'll move it over to the vault side 😉 If nothing there, I will say hello to the support guys again lol

Thanks,

Jeremy

Message 4 of 11
cwhetten

I have seen something like this before.  It usually manifests when I go to the projects editor and it will pop up a message saying that it can no longer find the project called C:\temp\8g0csh0opd\whatever.ipj.  Clicking OK makes it not search for this project anymore (which never should have existed in the first place).  Then it usually sets the project back to Default, and we have to switch it back to our vault project.

I have no idea what causes this to happen, and it doesn't happen very often so it is hard to pin it down.

Just wanted to add my voice to this chorus so you know you aren't alone.

-cwhetten

Message 5 of 11
jparks_79
in reply to: cwhetten

That is exactly what happens. And it has happened enough times that I have told everyone to check the project file before they come ask me for anything.

I just forget about it sometimes and spend 30 minutes trying to debug something remotely only to find that it was this stupid problem 🙂 Was just hoping someone had some easy fix to prevent it. Nobody understands the project file anyway and they get really pissy when it somehow is preventing them from finishing a job lol

Thanks for backup 🙂

Message 6 of 11
chrisrodway

On our vault setup I created one vault project file for all my users. Then you can enforce the this project file so its the only one vault uses.

To do this go into vault as an admin

Tools > Admin > Vault Settings > Working Folder > Define

Enforce your working folder and project file as shown in the picture

This sovled alot of my vault project file problems

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris Rodway

Design Engineer

Sheffield, UK

Cheers

Chris Rodway
Design Engineer
Sheffield, UK
Message 7 of 11
jparks_79
in reply to: chrisrodway

HI Chris,

I tried to mention this in the original post, but I guess it didn't come out that way. We are set up this way also. It is a good practice, but we still have the problem.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Message 8 of 11
chrisrodway

If its enforce on the vault it should always use that project file, the only other thing ive done with the project file when we were having trouble is ive checked it out to me.

This means no one can move or edit it apart from me

When I enforced my project file and checked it out this stopped all our project file errors

Cheers

Chris Rodway

Design Engineer

Sheffield UK

Cheers

Chris Rodway
Design Engineer
Sheffield, UK
Message 9 of 11
jparks_79

Chris,

You are exactly right. We have it enforced and the project is locked down and released. Nobody has permission to touch the file except admins. Which makes the problem even more mysterious.

Message 10 of 11
chrisrodway

Well hopefully Autodesk will see this feed and come up with some answers becuase

your vault is setup correctly from what you've said

Cheers

Chris Rodway
Design Engineer
Sheffield, UK
Message 11 of 11
blair

I wonder if network latency has any issues, where a request exceeds the time allocation and it switches to the default settings.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report