Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A sad day for Inventor disks

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
Anonymous
500 Views, 22 Replies

A sad day for Inventor disks

Well I finally did it, I sent almost all of our old IV disks through the
shredder and it almost brought a tear to my eye :~( I kept back one each of
IV7 and up just in case but all the others went to the landfill.

I could not bring myself to shred the original "vers 1" Inventor box and
disk...who knows it might be worth some real money on eee baay in a few
years
22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I think Delphi is located around Indianapolis area. He wasn't providing a disservice to his students he was merely preparing them (with 2D) for possible work with one of the largest employers in the area.

There is still a lot of entrenchment with 2D with some of these companies that they look down on 3D as a waste of time. I used to work for one of those companies several years ago.

They put the blinders on their employees and tell the school administrators to steer the curriculum to suit their needs not the needs of the future. To help enforce this policy many of these companies offer internships to the students and monetary help for the programs.
Message 22 of 23
RonnieWilkins

Part of the requirements in FIRST is to use Inventor...how in the heck did he think it was cheating???

Section 9.5 - Autodesk Inventor Award (4 Pages)

I agree with you Sean, I feel bad for the kids.
Ronnie Wilkins, Jr.
Message 23 of 23
Anonymous

Sean,

I did not speak to the teacher but I did have a long conversion with one of the students. I asked if they entered the IV part and he said no. I guess without a teacher who is supportive of it or a mentor to bring in the knowledge, it would be hard for the students to enter the IV portion.

It is very disheartening that the teacher would be so uniformed about the way the world of mechanical design is changing. Sure there may be some major players that are hold outs to the old 2D world but I doubt that will last through out these students long careers. Heck I started on a drafting board but I doubt there are any major players out there still holding on to that ink pin mentality!

Their robot design was very good and the student that I talked to told me that it was totally a product of the students concept. The mentors for that group had a different concept in mind so the team voted and the students approach won.

So the teacher thought the supplied IV parts we "cheating", that is just to funny!! It was a little odd that some of the supplied parts were just base solids telling me that they actually came from another software (I expected it with the SMC stuff).

Further down this thread someone stated that they thought that producing an IV model was a requirement for FIRST competitors, that is not true. The IV part is just one of many awards types that the students can try for. FIRST is setup so that even a team with no mentors, little funding, and not a lot of resources can compete in some way.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report