Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question about alligning things ina an assembly, I'm kinda lost on this...

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
666 Views, 11 Replies

A question about alligning things ina an assembly, I'm kinda lost on this...

So I'm designing a racecar, just for fun and to see if I can do it. But I'm having problems with getting the front wheels straight. 

At the moment the wheels are connected to a hub that is connected via ball joints with the wishbones. So to allign the wheels you have to allign these hubs. I've tried using the allign option in the ball joints, but there is no way I can get them straight. I've tried to use all the faces on these hubs but none give the right allignment.

Any suggestions how I can get this to work? As you can see the front whishbones are a bit too long, so I need to allign the wheels to calculate how much shorter they should be.

How to allign wheels?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you attach your assembly here

or here A360

Here is some reference information - look for the link for the class handout.

https://events.au.autodesk.com/connect/sessionDetail.ww?SESSION_ID=5792

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Here's the assembly file with all the used parts, it was too big to add on here so here's a Dropbox link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55282876/project1.rar

Don't pay attention to the dimensions etc, it's all guessed and made up, like said it's just a project for fun.

Message 4 of 12
JDMather

I don't go to third party drop boxes.

I don't have an *.rar extractor.

Can you attach the assembly at your Autodesk 360 drive?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

I understand that. I've put it in my 360 folder on my PC and it's syncing now. How do I share it with you now? When I click on 'Share' it wants me to fill in an email adress..

Message 6 of 12
JDMather

The easiest way is to make these three clicks - and a url you can post here will be generated.

A360 Drive.png

or

my email is jmather_at_pct_dot_edu

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

http://a360.co/17bikOJ

Seems you can't share a folder publicly. So I zipped my projectfolder up now and now I could get a link.. I'll also share the folder via email, 'cause that does work.

Message 8 of 12
JDMather

I had trouble with your assembly because it did not appear that your sub-assemblies were constructed properly.

Every assembly (including sub-assemblies) should have one grounded component. 

This defines the behavior of all other components within the assembly with remaining Degrees of Freedom (DOF).

When you place subassemblies (like your suspension assemblies) into the main assembly, you then right click on the subassembly and set to Flexible to preserve the DOF.

I am not sure what is causing the gray browser appearance - I saw this even in your ipt files.

For example,

there should be no relative motion of the wheel within it's assembly.

The Wheel should be grounded in that sub.  I would prefer to have it centered at the origin.

After constraining the Tire and the Center Bolt, I would also Ground those components within this sub as there is no desired relative motion between the three parts.

Wheel.png

Even if there is desired relative motion (DOF) between components - it should be defined relative to one grounded component or the assembly Origin planes and Axis.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Right so I grounded everything in the wheel assembly, and grounded the brackets of my suspension sub-assemblies. How do I now allign the front wheels? Still when I try to allign the front hubs they won't allign properly.

The gray browser was something that had to do with a dynamic simulation, it's solved in another topic:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/clicked-the-dynamic-simulation-button-now-...

Message 10 of 12
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Right so I grounded everything in the wheel assembly, and grounded the brackets of my suspension sub-assemblies. How do I now allign the front wheels? Still when I try to allign the front hubs they won't allign properly.

Upload your new assembly to A360.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

I haven't made a new assembly, just grounded the components that shouldn't move in the existing assemblies and made the sub-assemblies flexible.
I have updated the ZIP file I initialy shared with you, aswell as the project folder.

Because you say 'new assembly', should I redo the assemblies?
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

I have redone all my sub-assemblies and now I was able to allign the wheels. I follwed your advice on grounded components. However, in the wheel assembly I wasn't able to ground the tire and nut because then it gave errors with the joints or constraints so I only grounded the rim and used rigid joints to connect everything.

Thank you for your advice!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report