Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Puzzlement

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
hal1burn
246 Views, 5 Replies

A Puzzlement

After an upgrade to my CPU, motherboard, memory and graphics card, I performed a "Half Section View" operation on a fairly complex assembly. I was happy and gratified to see the half assembly rotate nicely with either the rotate tool or my space ball. The next day the same operation on the same assembly was back to its old performance, no real time rotation, all of the parts disappearing and then 20-30 seconds later the assembly will reappear. I tried it on a small subassembly of the same assembly (loaded it in its own window) and got the same poor performance. Anybody know what is going on? As far as I know all of my settings are the same. Help. TIA

The performance of the video card rotating the model without the section operation is great and I can detect no slowdown of degragation of performance.

2.8 Gig Pentium 4 CPU
2 Gig Memory
Nvidia FX5600 Video Card with 256 Meg Memory
Latest Video driver (52.16)
Windows XP Pro
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rllthomas
in reply to: hal1burn

You might look at CPU utilization, some other task may be hogging your machines resources (SMS in a corporate environment along with antivirus are good candidates).

I don't think the 52.16 drivers are setup for IV. I would go with 44.72, keep in mind 45.28 had some regressions so those could still be in the 52.16. You also need to make sure you have the September hardware lib installed.

Finally, corrupt acis bodies OR lots of arrayed features could cause some serious performance issues.

Probably unrelated but make sure you have all the latest chipset (including USB, AGP, IDE etc) , network, and audio drivers for your new motherboard installed. Something as stupid as an audio driver can be buggy and hog CPU cycles.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

What happens to the performance if you reboot between operations?

hal1burn wrote:

> After an upgrade to my CPU, motherboard, memory and graphics card, I
> performed a "Half Section View" operation on a fairly complex assembly.
> I was happy and gratified to see the half assembly rotate nicely with
> either the rotate tool or my space ball. The next day the same operation
> on the same assembly was back to its old performance, no real time
> rotation, all of the parts disappearing and then 20-30 seconds later the
> assembly will reappear. I tried it on a small subassembly of the same
> assembly (loaded it in its own window) and got the same poor
> performance. Anybody know what is going on? As far as I know all of my
> settings are the same. Help. TIA
>
> The performance of the video card rotating the model without the section
> operation is great and I can detect no slowdown of degragation of
> performance.
>
> 2.8 Gig Pentium 4 CPU
> 2 Gig Memory
> Nvidia FX5600 Video Card with 256 Meg Memory
> Latest Video driver (52.16)
> Windows XP Pro
>

--
Hal Gwin
Mechanical Designer
Xenogen

W2K SP4
Dell Precision 650
Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon
1.5 GB DDR
Quadro4 900 XGL
nVidia 6.14.10.4472 w/registry update
Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD
Message 4 of 6
hal1burn

I followed your advice and installed 44.72. The section operation works fine now but we will see how the future operation works. One thing though, when I went to see what the driver version number was it is listed as 45.23. Have you noticed this? Thanks again for your advice.
Message 5 of 6
rllthomas

Hmmmm, 45.23 was the next release after 44.72. Something isn't right on your system. I don't know this for sure, but I would guess somebody on the net has written a utility to totally purge your system of nvidia drivers. You probably ought to uninstal, and while in VGA mode purge all the nvidia drivers and reinstall the 44.72.

Unless of course everything is perfect now in which case DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

There is a couple of links on my site for Nvidia removal tools or help.
http://www.mymcad.com/KWiK/links/links.htm

--
Kent
Assistant Moderator
Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

"rllthomas" wrote in message news:f19af12.3@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...

I would guess somebody on the net has written a utility to totally purge your system of
nvidia drivers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report