Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Mentor
oransen
Message 1 of 4 (76 Views)

A Part ipt with parameters with different parameter values?

76 Views, 3 Replies
09-09-2013 12:47 AM

If I insert a part into two different assemblies can it have different parameter values?

I've tried this as an experiement and it would seem that it cannot.

Do I have to save my .ipt as a special sort of part if I want to have the same file with different parameters in different assemblies?

Mentor
oransen
Message 2 of 4 (74 Views)

Re: A Part ipt with parameters with different parameter values?

09-09-2013 12:58 AM in reply to: oransen

Or can I only do this if I make it an ipart? i.e. only if I have a row in the excel file which corresponds to the parameters I require and thus I'll need a row for every instance?

Distinguished Mentor
ccarreiras
Message 3 of 4 (64 Views)

09-09-2013 01:57 AM in reply to: oransen

Hi!!

Yes, you cannot...

Every time you use the same part in different assemblys, when you change that part (parameters, features... evreything) it will be updated on every file it is associated; assemblys, drawings...

So, as you said, the best thing to do is save your part "as a copy" for all the different sittuations (in the end, its true, the parts are different, why have the same part number?).

Using one ipart is also a nice aproach, and you may have custom values, that you can input when you are placing the parts in the assemblys. Try That also.

Regards.

solution.pngDid you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

Regards.
CarlosC

Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk Factory Design Suite Ultimate 2015
Windows 7 64Bit
Mentor
oransen
Message 4 of 4 (59 Views)

09-09-2013 02:54 AM in reply to: oransen

Yes, I suppose iParts is the proper and correct solution.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.