Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A model gets bigger and bigger. Inventor runs very slow now.

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
mailswamp
1653 Views, 17 Replies

A model gets bigger and bigger. Inventor runs very slow now.

What can I do? The model grows bigger and bigger. All the constrains are made against one main piece. Now it takes more than a minute for inventor to process any change to the model.

I am running a dual core toshiba with 4 gigs of ram. How can I make Inventor run faster? 

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: mailswamp

Subassemblies reduce calculations on constraints... Kinda like AutoCAD blocks.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 3 of 18
mailswamp
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

Thank you, but how do I use subassemblies?
Message 4 of 18
mailswamp

Thank you, but how do I use subassemblies? How do I group objects into a subassembly?
Message 5 of 18
Dennis_Jeffrey

You can use the Demote command, but since you have constrained all of your components to one part, you will lose the constraints.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 6 of 18
mailswamp

What menu do I find the demote command in?

Message 7 of 18
mailswamp

Is Demote an only way to use subassemblies?

Is shrinkwrap what you refer to as demote?

Message 8 of 18
DesignerGuy1

Sub-assemblies are nothing more than assemblies that are used in other assemblies.  Take a group of parts that relate (are constrained) to each other, and start a new assembly that contains only those parts.  Constrain them together how you want to use them in your main assembly.  Delete those parts from the main assembly, and replace them with the sub-assembly you created.

At the company I work at, we try not to use any more than 30 parts in sub-assembly, and try to make those "bench buildable", meaning that the sub-assembly should be able to be assembled on its own on the workbench, and carried as a single piece to where the main assembly is being assembled, and bolted on there.  (Granted, we use the term "carried" lightly, as some sub-assemblies need to be carried with a fork truck, due to their weight.)  This also helps in detailing assemblies, as things normally don't tend to get too large to get a good look at them on a B sized detail sheet.

If your selected sub-assemblies are too large, you can use sub-assemblies in those as well.

The main assembly is the parent assembly, and the sub-assembly is the child. 

Message 9 of 18
mailswamp
in reply to: DesignerGuy1

Looks like shrinkwrap is the way.

Otherwise I make some things invisible, Things that wouldn't cause me to draw a part that would geometrically interfere with them.

Thank you.

Message 10 of 18
mcgyvr

Your models should follow real world/production processes. If you make subassemblies in production..Your models should match the workflows..Phantom subassemblies are an option too depending on your workflows..

You can also do the 3G switch if you haven't already (assuming you are on a 32 bit OS).. Google will give you tons of info on the 3g switch and how to enable it..

A 64 bit OS and more RAM is also one of the best things you can do when 32 bit just ain't cutting it anymore.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 11 of 18
JDMather

@mailswamp wrote:

Is Demote an only way to use subassemblies?

Is shrinkwrap what you refer to as demote?

Demote is ONE way to create a sub-assembly.
This is typically done if you didn't follow logical sub-assembly sequences (as described in this thread) from the start.
Demote simply means you create an assembly within an assembly (sub-assembly) and move desired parts into that sub-assembly.

Shrinkwrap is a different way to do this in that you can also simplify and reduce a lot of parts (or subassemblies) to one part and temporarily replace all of that complex geometry in your assembly with one simple composite body.  This greatly speads things up.  You can toggle back and forth between the simplified shrinkwrap representation and the full assembly as needed.

Of course you should be using logical subassemblies.

You should also look into using shrinkwrap.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 12 of 18
mailswamp
in reply to: mcgyvr

I am running 64.

Message 13 of 18
blair

If your system is a 64 bit with only 4Gb of memory, add more memory. A 64b system with only 4Gb is like a 32 bit system with just under 3Gb of memory.

Assemblies and Sub-Assemblies: think of a car as your Assembly, the engine is a sub-assembly, the transmition is a sub-assembly. The tire & rim are a sub-assembly.

This is much nicer down the way when you are doing your BOM in drawings.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 14 of 18
mcgyvr
in reply to: blair

Yes RAM is cheap... Add more and get some speed back.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 15 of 18
mailswamp
in reply to: mcgyvr

i don't feel the need to get new memory

now everything is fine

Message 16 of 18
ampster401

@mailswamp wrote:

i don't feel the need to get new memory

now everything is fine

Today it is (sorta/maybe?!?!?) but what about tomorrow?

Get the extra memory.  You wont regret it.

Message 17 of 18
mailswamp
in reply to: ampster401

I am a student,

I don't need extra memory I just want to get by. Maybe when I start working.

Message 18 of 18
ampster401

good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report