Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Valued Contributor
mailswamp
Message 1 of 18 (729 Views)
Accepted Solution

A model gets bigger and bigger. Inventor runs very slow now.

729 Views, 17 Replies
06-24-2011 12:44 PM

What can I do? The model grows bigger and bigger. All the constrains are made against one main piece. Now it takes more than a minute for inventor to process any change to the model.

I am running a dual core toshiba with 4 gigs of ram. How can I make Inventor run faster? 

Subassemblies reduce calculations on constraints... Kinda like AutoCAD blocks.

What menu do I find the demote command in?

Is Demote an only way to use subassemblies?

Is shrinkwrap what you refer to as demote?

Sub-assemblies are nothing more than assemblies that are used in other assemblies.  Take a group of parts that relate (are constrained) to each other, and start a new assembly that contains only those parts.  Constrain them together how you want to use them in your main assembly.  Delete those parts from the main assembly, and replace them with the sub-assembly you created.

At the company I work at, we try not to use any more than 30 parts in sub-assembly, and try to make those "bench buildable", meaning that the sub-assembly should be able to be assembled on its own on the workbench, and carried as a single piece to where the main assembly is being assembled, and bolted on there.  (Granted, we use the term "carried" lightly, as some sub-assemblies need to be carried with a fork truck, due to their weight.)  This also helps in detailing assemblies, as things normally don't tend to get too large to get a good look at them on a B sized detail sheet.

If your selected sub-assemblies are too large, you can use sub-assemblies in those as well.

The main assembly is the parent assembly, and the sub-assembly is the child. 

*Pro
Dennis_Jeffrey
Message 2 of 18 (727 Views)

Re: A model gets bigger and bigger. Inventor runs very slow now.

06-24-2011 12:49 PM in reply to: mailswamp

Subassemblies reduce calculations on constraints... Kinda like AutoCAD blocks.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Valued Contributor
mailswamp
Message 3 of 18 (721 Views)

06-24-2011 01:31 PM in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey
Thank you, but how do I use subassemblies?
Valued Contributor
mailswamp
Message 4 of 18 (722 Views)

06-24-2011 01:32 PM in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey
Thank you, but how do I use subassemblies? How do I group objects into a subassembly?
*Pro
Dennis_Jeffrey
Message 5 of 18 (711 Views)

06-24-2011 02:47 PM in reply to: mailswamp

You can use the Demote command, but since you have constrained all of your components to one part, you will lose the constraints.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Valued Contributor
mailswamp
Message 6 of 18 (633 Views)

07-04-2011 08:03 PM in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

What menu do I find the demote command in?

Valued Contributor
mailswamp
Message 7 of 18 (631 Views)

07-04-2011 08:40 PM in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

Is Demote an only way to use subassemblies?

Is shrinkwrap what you refer to as demote?

Valued Contributor
DesignerGuy1
Message 8 of 18 (597 Views)

07-05-2011 08:38 AM in reply to: mailswamp

Sub-assemblies are nothing more than assemblies that are used in other assemblies.  Take a group of parts that relate (are constrained) to each other, and start a new assembly that contains only those parts.  Constrain them together how you want to use them in your main assembly.  Delete those parts from the main assembly, and replace them with the sub-assembly you created.

At the company I work at, we try not to use any more than 30 parts in sub-assembly, and try to make those "bench buildable", meaning that the sub-assembly should be able to be assembled on its own on the workbench, and carried as a single piece to where the main assembly is being assembled, and bolted on there.  (Granted, we use the term "carried" lightly, as some sub-assemblies need to be carried with a fork truck, due to their weight.)  This also helps in detailing assemblies, as things normally don't tend to get too large to get a good look at them on a B sized detail sheet.

If your selected sub-assemblies are too large, you can use sub-assemblies in those as well.

The main assembly is the parent assembly, and the sub-assembly is the child. 

Computer Specs:

Dell Precision M6500 mobile workstation
Windows 7 SP1, 64 bit OS
Intel i7 processor
12 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M graphics
Inventor Suite 2010, Subscription Advantage Pack, SP4
Valued Contributor
mailswamp
Message 9 of 18 (537 Views)

08-26-2011 05:28 AM in reply to: DesignerGuy1

Looks like shrinkwrap is the way.

Otherwise I make some things invisible, Things that wouldn't cause me to draw a part that would geometrically interfere with them.

Thank you.

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 10 of 18 (527 Views)

08-26-2011 06:05 AM in reply to: mailswamp

Your models should follow real world/production processes. If you make subassemblies in production..Your models should match the workflows..Phantom subassemblies are an option too depending on your workflows..

You can also do the 3G switch if you haven't already (assuming you are on a 32 bit OS).. Google will give you tons of info on the 3g switch and how to enable it..

A 64 bit OS and more RAM is also one of the best things you can do when 32 bit just ain't cutting it anymore.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.