Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A couple of update questions regarding extrusions and derived sketch blocks.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
bcadenza
1614 Views, 7 Replies

A couple of update questions regarding extrusions and derived sketch blocks.

First off if I update a sketch block in a derived part, how do I get the sketch blocks to update?  Do I have to delete derived item, and rederive it?

Also if I modify a sketch block that is used for a extrusion, how do I get the extrusion to update?  Do I have to delete extrusion and rextrude?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: bcadenza

@bcadenza wrote:

First off if I update a sketch block in a derived part, how do I get the sketch blocks to update?  

Q1. this quesion doesn't make sense.  If  you update a sketch block it IS uptdated.  What do you really mean?
Q2. No
Q3. No

Do you have some files that are giving you trouble?  It will be much easier to guide you to a solution if you attach actual files here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
bcadenza
in reply to: JDMather

Regarding the first question about the sketch blocks, you are right they are updating.  I must have not saved the part or something.  

Regarding the second question about the extrusions updating, let me give you an example.  If I have a sketch extruded, and I move a part, then the extrusion will match that.  But lets say I try to put a hole in the middle of it using a circle, and then finish the sketch, the extrusion does not show a hole, so I have to delete the extrusion and re-extrude.  Similarly if I add a sketch block item to sketch after it is already extruded, then I do not see it reflected in the extrusion.  Does this sound wrong?

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 8
JDMather

@bcadenza wrote:

Regarding the second question about the extrusions updating, let me give you an example.  .....

The rest is meaningless to me without a file.  A true example would include an attachment of an ipt file.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
bcadenza

Thanks for your help.  Attached is a part I made.  I first made the sketch then extruded it, then added a new circle that want to be a cutout of the extrusion.  

Message 6 of 8
JDMather

It is not clear to me what you are trying to do.

There are no Sketch Blocks in the file?

To edit a sketch simply double click on the sketch and then double click on dimension to change, then exit sketch and the part should update.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
bcadenza

Yes if I change a dimension the extrusion does get update.  My question is regarding the adding of a featthat like a circle that I want to be excluded from the extrusion. In my part I attached, if you look at the sketch there is asecond circle that is not excluded from the extrusion as it is was added after the extrude command.  I guess I either have to do a second inverted extrusion or delete extrusion and repeat extrude.  

Message 8 of 8
JDMather

@bcadenza wrote:

... if you look at the sketch there is asecond circle that is not excluded from the extrusion as it is was added after the extrude command.  I guess I either have to do a second inverted extrusion or delete extrusion and repeat extrude.  

You should not need to delete anything.

Double click on the extrusion.

Make the selection tool for Profile active.

Ctrl select the existing profile to unselect and then click again to select the edited profile.

(you might have to click in multiple areas of the profile if you want to remove islands from the extrusion.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report