Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 MINUTES TO GENERATE IDW VIEW WITH COIL SPRING

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
brendan.henderson
794 Views, 10 Replies

4 MINUTES TO GENERATE IDW VIEW WITH COIL SPRING

I'm looking for any ideas as to how I can speed up the IDW view generation of an average size assembly (? files) that has 2 small springs in it. And I'm looking for more than "get a better PC" or "upgrade the video card. You can see the PC specs in my signature line.

These are simple springs that take 4 minutes to compute the view. There is no movement needed or positional reps that requires the spring to flex.

1 workaround (and I hate these) that I can think of is to create a substitute simple part of the spring. I want to avoid this. It's 2014 and workarounds should not be required. The side view of the spring is generated quickly, as is the top view. But the end view which shows many coils (as the spring is slightly not vertical/horizontal on the sheet) takes the 4 minutes.

idw_viw_placement_with_spring.png

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Oops. Forgot the file count and that I had edited my signature 😞

Files in assy = 1066 of which there are 267 unique.

PC is HP Workstation with an ATI FirePro V7800 video card.

pc_specs.png

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Message 3 of 11
okaleja
in reply to: brendan.henderson

Hi,

Have you tried to enable background updates (Application Options -> Drawing tab -> Enable background updates) ? It should provide better overall performance when computing views.

Oto Kaleja,

Autodesk

Oto Kaleja
Software Engineer
Message 4 of 11

Brendan,

If you have access to Inventor 2015, please use the Body Integrity Check Tool (CTRL+F7) to check and see if the springs have issues.

If you do not have 2015, please post both of the springs and I will check to see if they have issues.

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 5 of 11

Does it help to just turn off the visibility of the spring in that view until you need it? (You probably need to turn it off in the parent view before you place the problem view, then turn it back on.)

It's probably mostly cosmetic in any view that's going to be that hard to generate, I bet you couldn't dimension to most of it if you needed to. (If it looks like it worked it will most likely flip out the next time something updates or the next time you open the file.) It's not like it's just an ellipse even if the end on view looks like a circle.

Maybe ... maybe it just might be faster if the spring was made with square wire - you've got that coil at an angle but then it's got a "cylindrical" face so no only do you have to figure out where you are on the coil but on the circle that coils as well. Maybe the drawing environment needs to take a lesson from the modeling environment - you can spin that thing all around and it can still put an outline on it in real time, why when it is only making the line in one fixed view does it have to work that much harder?

Message 6 of 11
Paul-Mason
in reply to: dan_inv09

This could be linked to the Virtual Memory settings, if you have it set as systems manged the size of the file along with HD assess time varies because windows is continually accessing to read and write to/from the HD.

As a rule of thumb I usually, if HD size/space allows, have the initial/minimum virtual memory set at 2 x Physical RAM and maximum at 4 x Physical  RAM this will speed HD access time up as the initial/minimum virtual memory spce is always reserved.

PM screen shot002.png

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 7 of 11

Bob, no access to 2015 so I can't check that. Spring Pack-N-Go attached for your reference. Thanks.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

Message 8 of 11

Mason-Paul, I have a C drive of a 125 GB SSD with the OS and PDSP installed on it and the Vault workspace also. Time has shown that the SSD is not large enough so I need to be careful with installing files and such on it. It usually has around 20-25 GB free which I manage weekly.T he C drive has no virtual memory.

I have a D drive 1 TB HDD for installing other programs and data.  The D drive has a 128000 initial and 256000 maximum virtual memory.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

Message 9 of 11
blair
in reply to: brendan.henderson

Anything I do with a spring fro D-A slows my IDW's down. Not the 4 minutes but I know a spring is in the drawing. The springs are 1 1/2" OD x 29" long and 1/4" wire, four of them in a IAM will slow down the IDW, especially Hidden Lines

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 11

Brendan,

I found no issues with your spring other than it will be computationally intensive.

I suggest that you try a cylinder with a thread appearance.

That is precisely why we do not use helical cut threads.

Please take a look at this and see it that will work for many of your springs.

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 11 of 11

I'll give it a shot Bob.

I consider your suggestion to be a workaround. The mass will be wrong and it won't look right on the IDW.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report