Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(3D) The way of the future!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
acwtzwegers
859 Views, 10 Replies

(3D) The way of the future!

"The way of the future! The way of the future! The way of the future! The way of the future!" - Autodesk, Dassault, H.Hughes

If Inventor (or SW for that matter) is supposed to be the way ahead... why is the "import autocad dwg" function still like the most important in the whole program? Why is the sketch mode not even up to par with a 10 year old version of ACAD LT? (I mean.. no layers? ever tried to offset anything in Inventor? It will just cry about what it can't do, while ACAD will just do it.)

Why can't this whole thing just become a tab on ACAD's ribbon instead of stupid work-around-seperate-program much like Inventor Fusion? Or hell, make ACAD the sketch mode... anything! Yes I know I'm supposed to "do it differently" and all that, but isn't it sad that you can better do a sketch in MS Paint then in these 3D programs... and they don't really offer a different way of making solids then sketch-extrude... so you'd think that sketch would be somewhat more advanced?

Sorry 'bout the rantr... just getting slightly fed up with all the calls from both Inventor and Solidworks about what they CAN'T do, find too complex etc. This way they're just a add-on to Mechanical or Draftsight (free ACAD LT! Why ever buy that again?!)... the way of the future... as long as you can handle the primitive sketch mode...

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
todd_cannon
in reply to: acwtzwegers

I think you will find that almost all Inventor users who were used to AutoCAD found the sketch mode difficult at first. However, I think you will also find that of those who stuck with it and learned what geometric constraints were, how sketches react to them and how to incorporate them into their sketches, most would prefer Inventor's method of sketching. I find nothing primative about it at all. In fact it is way more flexible that AutoCAD. Even now that AutoCAD has incorporated geometric constraints similar to Inventor. I would actually prefer AutoCAD to behave more like Inventor, including the offset method.

Message 3 of 11
phil-mcam

Why not just use it as you see fit? There is nobody saying "not" to use 2D or AutoCAD.

I am encouraged that they are linking ACAD more closely. It means they are allowing the user to define the work flow. (That's you)

All CAD  tools have a different feel and utility. Do what you like the way you like to do it. You define that, not the software.

• Sketch in ACAD and import into Inventor.
  • Draw your parts in Inventor and export the drawing views to ACAD for drafting.
  • Stop using Inventor all together if it doesn't serve your needs.

I have simultaneously used Inventor, AutoCAD, Illustrator, Paint, PowerPoint, SolidWorks, Acrobat, and more to get my designs and visual communication done. I didn't spend a lot of time wondering about what these tools couldn't do, I used them as I needed to get the jobs done. And usually, when I was frustrated with one, I would dig a little deeper and find out that I was wrong, learn a new skill, and prosper from that moment on.

I'm sure at some point carpenters had the big debate about screws vs. nails. One ancient way, and another more ancient way. Yet someone still invented the nail gun and improved the process. There is a nearly infinite way to combine tools and skills, this process never stops, be a part of it.

Message 4 of 11
Doug_DuPont

I have used AutoCAD for 20 years and now used Inventor for some 5 years. I dread even thinking about opening AutoCAD and using it. I and so much faster and actuate in Inventor. My customers want to see my designs in D so they can better understand.

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 5 of 11
blair

Having switched to Inventor back on release 4 I doubt if I could go back to 2D. The first time I used IV, my reaction was the same as yours. Back then we didn't have CC or easy access to 3D models for a number of our components.

Different tools for different jobs, over time you will decide what works better for your enviroment.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 11
dan_inv09

You need to stop drawing and start modeling.

How useful is a tower crane on a log cabin site? Start building skyscrapers!

Message 7 of 11

Good training and an attitude for learning fixes everything.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 8 of 11
PaulMunford

If you want to draw - stick with AutoCAD. If you want to model in 3D Inventor is a great tool.

AutoCAD Drawing is NOT the same thing as Inventor sketching.

A sketch is only required to define the geometry. If you find youself wanting to use Layers to control your geometry in a sketch, you have probably put waaaay to much geometry into that sketch. Inventor sketching isn't primitive - it's simple. It doesn't need to be any more complicated than it is.

Check out this article by Curtis Waguespack:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/03/inventor-101-simple-fully-constrained.html

And this one from my Blog:

http://cadsetterout.com/inventor/inventor-for-woodworkers-sketching-keep-it-simple/

Once you've got the concept of sketching you will realize that you are not comparing like with like!

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 9 of 11
acwtzwegers
in reply to: PaulMunford

Simple is nice yes... but you should see the complexity of most profiles we get here. The problem I'm hitting every time is that in the end we need to cut out a hole in the shape of them profiles, and then offset that same shape etc. Our workflow could easily be 3D, it could even be highly automated - if Inventor's offset didn't crap out at any distance beyond 0.2 mm.

Message 10 of 11
ampster402

@acwtzwegers wrote:

if Inventor's offset didn't crap out at any distance beyond 0.2 mm.

More than likely, there is an entity of some sort that Inventor won't do an offset on, it could be a small radii that when offset the distance you desire, that radi no longer exists and Inventor isn't a mind reader so it doesn't know what to do.

Message 11 of 11
PaulMunford

Care to post a problem part, or another picture to illustrate the problem?

It could be that using the thicken command in 'Cut' mode to offset the surface would be a better option than offsetting the sketch geometry.

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report