Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Reply
Contributor
kpadilla
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎07-29-2010
Message 11 of 18 (450 Views)

Re: 3d sweep path using specific f(x,y,z) function

12-01-2011 06:06 AM in reply to: kpadilla

I've attached a part file that depicts the envelop divided into eight gores.

*Expert Elite*
cwhetten
Posts: 1,074
Registered: ‎09-03-2008
Message 12 of 18 (436 Views)

Re: 3d sweep path using specific f(x,y,z) function

12-01-2011 10:37 AM in reply to: kpadilla

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to acheive.  You have successfully modeled the shape of the gore, and it's easy enough to extract one of them from the envelope model you posted.

 

Inventor won't automatically create a flat pattern of this shape, if that's what you are looking for.

 

Do you already know the (x,y) function of the flat shape?  I guess I should look at the excel file you posted to see what you have already done.

Contributor
kpadilla
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎07-29-2010
Message 13 of 18 (433 Views)

Re: 3d sweep path using specific f(x,y,z) function

12-01-2011 10:50 AM in reply to: cwhetten

cwhetten wrote:

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to acheive.  You have successfully modeled the shape of the gore, and it's easy enough to extract one of them from the envelope model you posted.

 

Inventor won't automatically create a flat pattern of this shape, if that's what you are looking for.

 

Do you already know the (x,y) function of the flat shape?  I guess I should look at the excel file you posted to see what you have already done.


I suppose a summary is in order:

  • I have already calculated x,y-function of the flattened gore shape, and I have it's coordinates in the Excel file that I previously shared.
  • I can input the coordinates from Excel into Inventor, but not associatively.
  • I tried using the Point Linker plugin to make the link associative, but I get an error that prevents Point Linker from inputting any data. I copied this error into a previous post.
  • I shared the .ipt file for the envelope divided into gores so that readers could better understand my posts.

More succinctly, Point Linker does not work and I need help to make it work, please.

 

Employee
gary.wassell
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎03-22-2011
Message 14 of 18 (410 Views)

Re: 3d sweep path using specific f(x,y,z) function

12-02-2011 03:53 AM in reply to: kpadilla

Hi,

 

can you let me have your direct contact details (email them to gary.wassell@autodesk.com)?

We can then work with you directly to resolve the issue with PointLinker.

 

Thanks

Gary

Contributor
kpadilla
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎07-29-2010
Message 15 of 18 (385 Views)

Re: 3d sweep path using specific f(x,y,z) function

12-05-2011 12:32 PM in reply to: yesihavenobananas

With the help of a/the Point Linker developer, I now have a working add-on. I suppose the community will see an update to Point Linker, but I will leave such a speculation for the developer(s) to confirm, deny, or neither. Many thanks!

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Posts: 26,872
Registered: ‎04-20-2006
Message 16 of 18 (379 Views)

Re: 3d sweep path using specific f(x,y,z) function

12-05-2011 12:44 PM in reply to: kpadilla

kpadilla wrote:
 
  • I shared the .ipt file for the envelope divided into gores so that readers could better understand my posts.

More succinctly, Point Linker does not work and I need help to make it work, please.

 


Is there reason you didn't use the Origin and didn't use the existing Origin workplane and axis and instead re-created these?

Is there a reason your first sketch is missing horizontal constraint on the line and not fully constrained?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Employee
gary.wassell
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎03-22-2011
Message 17 of 18 (378 Views)

Re: 3d sweep path using specific f(x,y,z) function

12-05-2011 12:46 PM in reply to: kpadilla

Hi,

 

yes we'll post an update to the PointLinker app on Autodesk Labs in due course.

 

Cheers

Gary

Contributor
kpadilla
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎07-29-2010
Message 18 of 18 (369 Views)

Re: 3d sweep path using specific f(x,y,z) function

12-05-2011 01:11 PM in reply to: JDMather

JDMather wrote:
Is there reason you didn't use the Origin and didn't use the existing Origin workplane and axis and instead re-created these?

Is there a reason your first sketch is missing horizontal constraint on the line and not fully constrained?


I don't remember exactly why, but I probably started the sketch at the origin and then decided to try sketching differenly right below where I started. I think I originally tried to define the outline of the envelope parametrically with a spline, starting at the origin, but it got ugly, so I erased it.

 

To answer your second question, no, but I hope the part file helped to illustrate my posts as I intended.

 

 

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.