Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Sweep - Exhaust Pipe

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
drguitarum2005
3131 Views, 4 Replies

3D Sweep - Exhaust Pipe

I have several questions regarding 3D sketches, sweeps, etc. I consider myself fairly proficient in most basic 3D modeling but I haven't had to dive into 3D sketches too often.

I am trying to make an exhaust pipe and I have attached an example here. Basically it is a 3D shape so I drew two 2D sketches that represent "projections" of the final shape. Then used the intersection command within a 3D sketch to get the intersection. One of my problems is why doesn't the intersection grab the final, lower leg of the right-side sketch? I have to add that last 5" leg as a separate 3D sketch.

After doing this, I use the "bend" command in the 3D sketch to get my radii.

Can anyone offer some 3D sketch tips/advice and maybe suggest a better way to accomplish what I'm doing here?

I can draw the "un-filleted" shape using a bunch of 2D sketches but then I can't apply a fillet between two 2D sketches so I end up with sharp pipe corners.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: drguitarum2005

Have you seen this tutorial

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Inventor%20Tutorials/Inventor%2011%20Tutorial%207.pdf

It looks to me like that pipe size is going to have some pretty tight bends?

Your dimension is an approximation - Project the endpoint as shown and then make coincident to the line for the exact dimension.

Approximation.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
drguitarum2005
in reply to: JDMather

I will go through that tutorial to make sure I fully understand it.

As far as the bends, that's just an example. What we're probably dealing with is more of a 4" OD pipe with a 5" radius bend. Everything I'm modeling is able to be constructed with readily available parts and bends. I just threw that together as a quick example.

Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: drguitarum2005

Here are a couple of different techniques - depending on your design intent.

For better visibility - turn on Sketch1,2 (and then 3 rather than 2), but right click on them in the browser and turn off dimension visibility.

In the first example I added the fillets to the 2D sketches (might not be correct on non-orthoganal orientations) and in the second example I added Bends to the 3D sketch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
drguitarum2005
in reply to: JDMather

You are correct, I forgot about that being an approximation. I should have extended out all the decimals. Just doing that did the trick. I will look at your other suggestions real quick...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report