Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Valued Contributor
sumayo
Message 1 of 8 (1,090 Views)

3D Sketch not fully constrained

1090 Views, 7 Replies
08-10-2010 01:31 AM

It seems there is a problem with Inventor 3D Sketching. I have a 3D Sketch, with 1 fully constrained vertical line, and another vertical line with an open length. I then join the 2 lines with a line on the top. When I give the top line an angle dimension, I expect it to be fully constrained, but it appears not as the line remains "green".

Please see attached file.

Windows 7
Inventor Suite 2011
Dell Precision M6400
Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU 2.40GHz
RAM 12 GB
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700M
Spatial Feedom - Astroid
*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 2 of 8 (1,081 Views)

Re: 3D Sketch not fully constrained

08-10-2010 04:21 AM in reply to: sumayo

I've wondered the same thing.  I do tube and pipe routes, which are in essence, 3D sketches.  Using the auto-route tool, you can easily get a sketch fully constrained, but as soon as you convert it to a sketch, those constraints disappear.  So, after fighting with the unconstrained sketch and finally wrestling back into a fully constrained condition, I exit the sketch and begin placing pipe fittings from the CC.  As soon as I place a fitting on the route it loses it's contraints again.  This is very frustrating, and the one person from Autodesk who tried to help me with this, was unable to duplicate the problem.  I've learned to work around it, more or less, but it's a lot more work.

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.com/

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 3 of 8 (1,079 Views)

08-10-2010 04:30 AM in reply to: sumayo

I use 2D sketches to control my 3D sketches - far far easier to edit and usually easier to create.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 4 of 8 (1,076 Views)

08-10-2010 04:48 AM in reply to: JDMather

I would agree with that, but in the tube and pipe routing, you're not given a choice.  A pipe route IS a 3d sketch.  You can use existing geometry to constrain routes with geometric or dimensional constraints... though often figuring out what the sketch is looking for is like pulling teeth, and the route never seems to KEEP those constraints as you add or delete fittings to your route.  So, you inevitably wind up going back into the route to re-constrain it... or finally give up in frustration and hope it stays put long enough to get a detail out to the shop.

I've added this to several wish lists, as it just seems there should be a way to make this routing a bit more intuitive and easy to control.

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.com/

Valued Contributor
sumayo
Message 5 of 8 (1,038 Views)

08-10-2010 12:56 PM in reply to: cbenner

Thanks Chris, the thing is (in this case) the sketch is fully constrained.... but the line at an angle is green...?

Windows 7
Inventor Suite 2011
Dell Precision M6400
RAM 12 GB
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700M
Spatial Feedom - Astroid
Mentor
PACDrafting
Message 6 of 8 (1,011 Views)

08-11-2010 05:19 AM in reply to: sumayo

Hi Greg

I've noticed no one from Autodesk has posted a reply here.

I'm guessing this one is in the "Too Hard Basket".

Valued Contributor
sumayo
Message 7 of 8 (989 Views)

08-12-2010 02:15 AM in reply to: PACDrafting

G'day Paul,  I think you might be right, looking like the "Too hard Basket".

Windows 7
Inventor Suite 2011
Dell Precision M6400
RAM 12 GB
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700M
Spatial Feedom - Astroid
ErvinEikeland
Message 8 of 8 (415 Views)

12-20-2013 01:26 AM in reply to: sumayo

Hi sumayo.

The attached file have worked around the problem slighty, but I think it answers your question.

FYI:

I personally think the constraints in 3D are tricky to fulfill sometimes, but it is just a matter of getting the geometry just right.

You might possibly put in some support geometry to help you out also sometimes. I created an arc the other day to make a square spring.

That was no easy task either and was much the same problem, but even more difficult as the arc was a true 3D turn.

It requires some fiddling about, and I think creating a plane and making a 2D sketch would be much simpler in your case.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.