Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D section sweep possible ?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
donald.dupont
151 Views, 3 Replies

3D section sweep possible ?

I am using a 1.125" ball nose end mill to machine this attached part. I would like to illustrate this in 3D. I used a sweep command with a 2D sketch following a 2D path. That is the best that I can do right now. But ideally, since I am using a ball nose end mill, I should be using a 3D sketch along a 2D path.

Is Inventor able to illustrate such a geometry generated by a ball end mill working in 3D like we regulary do when simulating the process in mastercam or gibbs?
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: donald.dupont

> ...... since I am using a ball nose end mill, I should be > using a 3D sketch along a 2D path. ........... If nobody offers anything, can you post a pic? I can't see 8 files. Generally speaking you don't need a swept volume for ball end mill and 2D path. Can't say the same for an end mill and 3D path, though. IV doesn't do swept volumes, but I, at least, wouldn't hold THAT against it.
Message 3 of 4

Here a picture of my part.

like to simulate the 3D path of the ball nose end mill
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: donald.dupont

> Here a picture of my part. > like to simulate the 3D path of the ball nose end mill If I'm not mistaken (50 / 50 chance?) you can use something like part1 as long as the path plane is coincident with the cutter axis (not to say that's the only way). For all other paths (except where the path plane is normal to cutter axis) I think you'll have to use something like in part2. Sorry it's a bit cobbed up. I get that way with IV. If any of it's of interest and you can't figure out what I was doing, holler back. ===========================

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report