Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D printing objects that have a tread

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
adelaidered
988 Views, 6 Replies

3D printing objects that have a tread

Help please. We are using iventor 2012 at my school and have recently purchased a makerbot 3D printer abd having lots of fun. Howver i recently created a model that has an M40 Thread as part of the model. However when i try to 3D print it, it doesn't recognise the thread and it isn't printed. I seethre thread on the ipt but once it is saved as an stl it seems to disappear. Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
spackle42
in reply to: adelaidered

I would suggest that the makerbot is simply generating its output based on the 3D model. Inventor doesn't the threads as physical parts, it simply puts in a 'placeholder' that can be later referenced in your drawings. You'll probably find that you'll need to create your thread using a sketch profile of the thread and then sweeping it around the cylinder that you want the thread on. HTH.

Justin Smith

Inventor Pro 2015 SP1
HP Z400 Workstation
Intel Xeon W3565 @ 3.20GHz
12Gb RAM
Win 7 64 Pro SP1
Spacepilot Pro v3.17.4
Message 3 of 7
BLHDrafting

This has been posted and answered earlier this week.

You either need to model the threads (as Inventor uses a graphic to represent them) or install this add-in to generate the threads. But even that still needs checking as 1 forum user says it may not be correct. Also this shows as compatible for 2013 and 2014, but I remember using it in 2011. Maybe search for an earlier version elsewhere.

http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=autodesk.appstore.exchange.autodesk.com...

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 4 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: BLHDrafting

Seems like some instructors aren't covering the basics

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Screw-threads-exported-as-STL-files/td-p/4294591

or maybe the students aren't paying attention.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 7
graemev

3D printing of an M40 thread with a machine having a 0.1mm resolution (highest quality) is going to be a severe challenge.  Expect it not to fit at all well or, if you chose to accommodate the tolerance and roughness problem, fit together more like a baby rattle than a nut & bolt - doable, not useable.

Message 6 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: graemev

We routinely print 3D threads on a machine with about .25mm resolution without trouble.

The trick is to print out a sample and adjust model from actual results.

From just a few trials I know how much allowance I need to get pretty smoothly fitting threads.

Just have to remember that it isn't a close tolerance machining process and make adjustments based on experience.

My students are always amazed when I tell them exactly the allowance to make and it works.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 7
graemev
in reply to: JDMather

Yep, I hear ya.  I've actually printed out an "inverse" acme thread - dovetail, if you prefer - and managed to get the clearance in the model just right on the first shot.  There was a cearance (face to face) of 0.005" on the model and the printed parts were just barely a slide fit.

Experience is a damned fine teacher.  lol

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report