Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Printing from Inventor (Advice from Experts)

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
jeanchile
1982 Views, 9 Replies

3D Printing from Inventor (Advice from Experts)

Hello all,

I am investigating the use of 3D printing technology to produce 3 different parts for 2 different projects and I was wondering if I could solicit advice from those who have done this before. Although I have had some stereolithography done in the very distant past, my experience level with newer technology is none.

I've done a search on the forum and the only two pieces of advice I found were:

1.) Make sure your export the file using the proper units.

2.) Make sure your parts are not too thin (I've found material thickness minimums online for various printers).

The three things I am looking to have printed are for two different purposes. Two are functional (knob for my jacuzzi, valve extension for my outdoor shower) and one is for promotional (client wants 54 scaled down models of a product to give out at grand opening). For those of you who do this often (JD, etc.) are there things other than the two above that I should consider?

Inventor Professional
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
graemev
in reply to: jeanchile

1 & 2 for sure!

If you get sintered products for a wet environment, be sure to seal them first.  It's not that the parts would be unsanitary as delivered, but they would quickly become unsanitary as used.  (Think: porosity of compressed layers of denim... wet... a bacteriological playground.)

From my experience (I use Shapeways - Google is your friend) the materials are reasonably consistent in dimension and composition, but are not "engineering" materials, so a little bit of overdesigning is not a bad idea.  Shapeways in particular make no claims of suitability for any of their materials for any purpose beyond "decorative" with the exception of glazed ceramic being the only food safe material.  One should never "rely" on these materials, especially from a critical application or safety standpoint.  (ie.: Don't make a set of handlebars.)

Message 3 of 10
JavaLodge

Here's two cents, for what it's worth. I've done some 3D printing with Shapeways and I am on the whole satisfied. When you upload a model there, some automated checks are done, but the final determination for printability is done by a person only after you order your part. This can be frustrating as you have to keep reuploading to make sure your part is doable. For your jacuzzi knob, you could print it in stainless steel, possibly. It comes with a rather rough surface finish, but sands down to quite a good looking luster. It would be more expensive though...
in reply to: graemev

The proper printing technology needs to be matched to the intended parts form/fit/function..

Personally "FDM"/weed-wacker string" parts are almost NEVER suitable for functional parts and then only if you keep it plenty thick (like 1/4" or more)..

3d printing isn't what its "cracked" up to be.. 

I've had good luck/quality looking functiona parts with SLS..and SLA (Objet printers I believe)

I would NEVER give out 3d printed parts at a show.. #1 is going to be expensive.. (3d printing from a service ain't cheap..) last part I did was like 1.5" x 1" x .75" and they were like $60 each..

If I wanted to have some parts made for a show sample I would look into a printing a single SLS part and using it for a silicone casting mold for the rest of the parts..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 10
jeanchile
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

I would NEVER give out 3d printed parts at a show.. #1 is going to be expensive.. (3d printing from a service ain't cheap..) last part I did was like 1.5" x 1" x .75" and they were like $60 each..

I agree but it isn't my money I'm spending here. That's what they asked for and if they are willing to pay us to do it then, by golly, we're going to do it! The more it costs, the more margin I make. Smiley Wink I actually just don't want to do anything else because 3D printing would be the least amount of involvment from me. Although your silicone mold idea does sound like fun... probably just for the first 10 though.

Thanks mcgyvr (and everyone else) for the good thoughts/ideas. I appreciate the help. I've received quotes back from two places already and each of them said my models were set up well.

Inventor Professional
Message 6 of 10
JDMather

This thing does a reasonably good job and only $500

http://www.xyzprinting.com/en/product

amazing to me considering where this technololgy was when I started.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
hansome_one

Yes and NO to all comments.  Jean, you can have very satisfactory results from FDM.  The machines have come along way in the past 2.5 years (then again 10 years as well.)  I have been printing parts for the last 8 years using FDM.  It is really a trial and error process on your part when just begining.  What features do you really want to show.  What I mean by that is the finished scale of the part.  If you have a part that has a 1inch hole in it and you only want a 1:10 scale of the printed part, then you will have a hard time getting a hole that has a diameter of .100" to have good clarity.  This is an area that I review up front with customers right up front, "What features do you really want to show?"

Files coming from IV are usually not a problem.  Files that are constrained or offset from a specific origin are not a problem either, those parameters can be changed later.  You should have a sample either sent to you, or send in something. Maybe something from you desk or what not. A fair amount of 3d printing vendors will send you a sample file for your review, it may not be anything of value to you but it will get the ball rolling. 

(Fit, Form & Function) I have had a lot of trial and error in this department.  However it has been no different that any other machine, whether the situation be in additive or subtractive mfg. You will always have to know your machines capabilites.  Ex. I have been doing some hydraulic cylinders lately and the CAD files have .005"-.015" clearance on the internal parts. I have to make suggestions to the customers as i cannot print with those dimensions. So now knowing my machine, I make suggestions and have had great success.

Shell or wall thickness can give interesting results. Try to stay with nominal numbers ( .030" increments is a good start).  You may even have to take your finished part and make a couple changes to it for better printing results. Again talk to your vendor.

Hey, any form of advertising is good.  Lastly, 3D printing is still not a perfected technology (yet). There are flaws and defects, but that is OK. Good Luck.

2016 Inventor
W7 - 64 bit
i7 2.6ghz
16g Ram - 3000M
Design Consultant
Message 8 of 10
jeanchile
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

This is something I never even considered until you brought it up JD. This client is looking in the range of $4,000 - $5,000 (US) to have these 50 or so giveaways at the grand opening. I've been looking into the different products available for this kind of thing and although it would take 24 days of straight printing, I may be able to purchase a printer and the media and do these myself. If I can get satisfactory results, I may be able to get me or the client a "free" printer out of the whole deal. At least after spending five grand they might have a capital asset. Thank you for bringing this up!

For my more "functional" parts, I think I'm going to leave that to the professionals. The valve extension for my outdoor shower is going to be buried in a wall and I'd like it not to break often.

Inventor Professional
Message 9 of 10
jeanchile
in reply to: hansome_one

Wow, thanks Handsome! There is a lot of good information there. Hopefully others can find this thread useful as this technology develops. I'll post back the things I learn as I get this worked out.

Inventor Professional
Message 10 of 10
mcgyvr

@jeanchile wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is something I never even considered until you brought it up JD. This client is looking in the range of $4,000 - $5,000 (US) to have these 50 or so giveaways at the grand opening. I've been looking into the different products available for this kind of thing and although it would take 24 days of straight printing, I may be able to purchase a printer and the media and do these myself. If I can get satisfactory results, I may be able to get me or the client a "free" printer out of the whole deal. At least after spending five grand they might have a capital asset. Thank you for bringing this up!

For my more "functional" parts, I think I'm going to leave that to the professionals. The valve extension for my outdoor shower is going to be buried in a wall and I'd like it not to break often.

"IF" you are really thinking about that I would HIGHLY suggest getting one part printed by someone and accepted by the customer first.. Or maybe they are fully aware of what 3d printed parts are going to look/feel like (I kind of doubt it).. Last thing I'd want is to accept that $5K then print parts and find out they hate it and don't want them. 

Now I have no idea what this part is so it might be just fine or the "toyish" feel might be just what they are after BUT if any vendor thats not in the 3d printing industry gave me a 3d printed part at a tradeshow/grand opening I'd throw that right in the trash or just let my dog chew on it and that would seriously make me think twice about dealing with that company.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report