Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d pdf

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
thaddeus
823 Views, 19 Replies

3d pdf

When will Inventor be able to output to a 3D pdf?

Solidworks already has this feature in their 2009 version.
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
mcgyvr
in reply to: thaddeus

That would be GREAT!!!! Especially with the fact that Adobe Acrobat only supports the latest version of Inventor for about 3 months out of the year then your SOL. Like I said in another post we bought multiple seats of Acrobat 3d only to find out it doesn't support the latest version of Inventor from about March when the newest version of Inventor comes out till about December when they finally release a patch for Acrobat to allow native opening of Inventor files.
http://www.augi.com/inventor/submitwish.asp?page=1083

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous

I thought I remembered Autodesk or someone releasing a preliminary
3d pdf output program that was supposed to work like a 3d printer
a year or 2 ago? Anyone else remember that? Is it still around?

Bob S.

mcgyvr wrote:
> That would be GREAT!!!! Especially with the fact that Adobe Acrobat only
> supports the latest version of Inventor for about 3 months out of the
> year then your SOL. Like I said in another post we bought multiple seats
> of Acrobat 3d only to find out it doesn't support the latest version of
> Inventor from about March when the newest version of Inventor comes out
> till about December when they finally release a patch for Acrobat to
> allow native opening of Inventor files.
> http://www.augi.com/inventor/submitwish.asp?page=1083
Message 4 of 20
ralfwalter

Hello,

I recommend that you export to DWF. You can download the DWF viewer from:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=12423405&siteID=123112

Regards,

Ralf Walter (Autodesk)

Ralf Walter

Principal Engineer
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous

Ralf,

Do you now provide a dwf viewer for linux/unix/macOS systems?
3d pdf is available for all these, I believe. Same as acrobat
reader is available for all these systems.

ralfwalter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recommend that you export to DWF. You can download the DWF viewer from:
>
> http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=12423405&siteID=123112
>
> Regards,
>
> Ralf Walter (Autodesk)
Message 6 of 20
thaddeus

Ralf thanks for your response.

But this isn't about utilizing Autodesk DWF output, this is about exporting an industry standard file type.

The problem is most computer users do not have or want a dwf viewer, almost all public documents are pdf, therefore adobe reader is required on any computer that utilizes public documents.

Thaddeus
Message 7 of 20
mcgyvr

Yes but we like PDF better 🙂 I've never gotten on the DWF bandwagon. Mainly because no one outside of the Autodesk world knows what it is. It's almost guaranteed that anyone I send a pdf file to can open it. I don't think that I could say that for DWF.
I just had one customer that I tried to be all high tech and send a dwf so they could view/rotate,etc.. my 3d model.. Autodesk says that DWF can be view with Internet Explorer (they say it like anyone with Internet Explorer can view it..WRONG). I felt stupid when my customer came back and said they cannot view this DWF file and could I send a pdf instead.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 20
charegb

Autodesk's Freewheel project allows you to upload a DWF file and anyone with a web browser can then view it without having to download any additional software.

http://labs.autodesk.com/technologies/freewheel/

Regards,
Bankim
(Autodesk) Edited by: charegb on Oct 5, 2009 11:30 AM
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous

Keyword: "anyone with a web beowser can view it"! Where's the security?

charegb wrote:
> Autodesk's Freewheel project allows you to upload a DWF file and anyone with a web browser can then view it without having to download any additional software.
>
> http://labs.autodesk.com/technologies/freewheel/
>
> Regards,
> Bankim
> (Autodesk)
>
> Edited by: charegb on Oct 5, 2009 11:30 AM
Message 10 of 20
scottmoyse

other than for markups, dwf viewer is truely crap!! And i have found that even the mark up facilities are seriously lacking. 3D Pdf's ROCK, and you can also use it as a file translator quite successfully. You can do so much with 3D pdf's and its cross platform to boot. They are really onto something there, autodesk take note.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 11 of 20
thaddeus

Here is something to think about.
Solidworks has E-Drawings which are similar to DWFs, Solidworks thought it was important enough to also have a 3D pdf output.
Message 12 of 20
ToddHarris7556

For what it's worth.... I (and others) have voiced this before, but it's been a while, so I'll toss it out again:

DWF is a pretty nifty format. I like being able to combine sheets, 3D, BOM, markups, etc. All very cool.
It doesn't do me a bit of good when dealing with Mac-based clients, though. There are a fair number of these users out there in the industrial design, architecture and art worlds. MacDWF never materialized, though it was discussed for years.

Not DWF-bashing by any stretch. Just suggesting that until DWF can equal (or surpass) PDF in terms of accessibility, it will continue to be a (steep) uphill battle to get people to adopt it. A fair number of my review cycles involve Mac users, so this is a showstopper for me.

Freewheel? Also very cool, but not likely to be useful (IMHO) for anything other than posting designs of the new treefort I'm building for my kids, or a picnic table. Home projects, sure, but engineering designs? I suspect that almost all of our professional work has some privacy concern attached. I'm not likely to post any of my client's files in a public space, nor my own internal manufacturing data. Again, very nice tool, just not one that's likely to be adopted widely for professional use.

Todd
Product Design Collection (Inventor Pro, 3DSMax, HSMWorks)
Fusion 360 / Fusion Team
Message 13 of 20
scottmoyse

The thing is you can combine sheets, have a BOM and markups in 3D pdf's too.

For sure, for people who don't have a 3D acrobat license DWF viewer is great.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 14 of 20
chad.smith

I am currently having to create an STL, move it to Solidworks, and then I can create a 3D pdf for others to view. I think it is a little crazy to do this.

I would really like the oportunity to do it directly from Inventor.
Message 15 of 20

Question for Autodesk:
3d pdf generation from Inventor would make a really cool subjet for your next Autodesk University!
PDF are universal, known everywhere.
DWF are Adesk-user-versal, unknown elsewhere.

Now that you know it, correct it!
Message 16 of 20
JDMather

>I am currently having to create an STL, move it to Solidworks

Why would you use a faceted stl rather than a stp file?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous

JD, I'm speculating here but I think that if you looked at the raw data of
the PDF you;ll find it to be a course mesh that the viewer smooths. Chad's
stl should create faster, open much faster
in Solidworks and create a much lower file creation overhead. And probably
looses nothing in the translation except colors. (if memory serves,
Solidworks pdf's don't contain naming, structure or material information)

wrote in message news:6284060@discussion.autodesk.com...
>I am currently having to create an STL, move it to Solidworks

Why would you use a faceted stl rather than a stp file?
Message 18 of 20
wmgray

Hi all,

I just joined the forum this week because my company, I-Cubed, has developed an add-on called ChainLink for another CAD client which extracts into PDF various 3d views, supporting documents (bom, surface specs, etc.), and a 3D PDF into one technical data package, viewable by Reader, and we're gauging interest in the AutoDesk community. The package can be used for design reviews, internal stakeholders without CAD licenses, and even externally for manufacturing purposes. The package can optionally be secured through dynamically configurable rights management if you have access to a LiveCycle server, and we're investigating other, more lightweight methods.

We'd love to bring ChainLink to Inventor if it's a feature that adds value to your work. If anyone is interested in signing up as a beta tester we can work with you to understand your requirements and how you use exported 3D PDF's and incorporate that into the final product, and we would only ask for some testing and user feedback in return.

Here's a link to a product demo: http://www.i-cubed.com/chainlink/video/ChainLinkDemo.html

Contact me at william.gray at i-cubedcom if you're interested.

Thanks,
Billy, I-Cubed
Message 19 of 20
delineryan

If I remember correctly, SW2007 had save as 3D PDF.

Ryan
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
Message 20 of 20
petercharles

Please don't stick your head in the sand on this subject. When you're outside the DWG format the world does not revolve around Autodesk, take off the blinkers and start taking the wider view.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report