Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D pdf files

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
cparnell
1688 Views, 29 Replies

3D pdf files

I have searched this forum for a way to create 3D pdf files directly from Inventor or other "free" software but have not found anything that works very well. Today I found an answer, it is by using the Bentley Viewer.  I had to "Save Copy As" my Inventor .iam file to "AutoCAD DWG Files.dwg". Then open it up inside the Bentley Viewer, go to the "Print pdf" button and select the "Print to 3D" button. It will even show some colors.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
IraRod
in reply to: cparnell

You may have missed the fact the tetra4D provides Autodesk plugins that allow you to create exceptional 3D PDFs directly from Inventor without having to save as, or export out a .iam, or dwg..

It’s very easy to use.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 3 of 30
cparnell

I did not miss the fact that one has to pay for Tetra4D. From $500.00 to $1000.00 depending on if you have Acrobay XI Pro.

Bentley View is free.

Message 4 of 30
swhite

I've always just exported it to DWF and used autodesks free dwf viewer. Gives you an actual 3D model you can rotate, select different parts, measure, etc. Never needed to print from it, so don't know how well it handles that.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 5 of 30
cparnell
in reply to: swhite

The problem that we have is that some of our customers employees are not allowed to download software from the internet which they would have to do with Design Review. I would have to say that practacally every PC computer comes with Acrobat Reader. I have read of this problem with other companies a number of times.

Message 6 of 30
tsreagan

I know Autodesk and Microsoft were working together to get dwfs to be natively viewed in windows,  I am not sure the status on that, maybe someone can elaborate.

T.S.

Message 7 of 30
rdyson

And Mac's     which can't install Design Review (unless something's change recently)

PDSU 2016
Message 8 of 30
tsreagan
in reply to: rdyson

Mac... did he say... Mac...

Ok,  I'm not going there 🙂

T.S.

Message 9 of 30
karthur1

Its a joke that we have to jump through these hoops, just to get 3d pdf files from Inventor.  Hopefully there is some progress being made here with AD.  At least the ideastation "3D PDF" has been accepted.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/3D-PDF/idi-p/3738852

But, I know that does not help you any right now.

Message 10 of 30
swhite

I used macs for 10 years doing graphic design, and I tell you now, they can't be beat for graphic applications. But since they are now basically windows, I can't attest to if they would still be better. A mac you hook it to the netwrok and you are done, no need to fiddle with all the settings, it does it for you. Hook a new printer to the network, it shows up immediately. I miss my mac 😞

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 11 of 30
tsreagan

Sorry for almost going there,  I'm an oldschool warrior from the IBM - Mac wars. 🙂

Though Lookin back, I wish Mac would have won,  then all the virus problems would be concentrated on macs, as hackers tend to target the system that has the largest market share, in order to do the greatest damage.

T.S.

Message 12 of 30
swhite
in reply to: tsreagan

Nah, they don't target macs becasue everyone that uses a Mac loves it, including the hackers 🙂 They just hate windows 🙂

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 13 of 30
tsreagan

In the effort of maintaining the lasting peace... I will refrain 🙂

T.S.

Message 14 of 30
mrattray
in reply to: tsreagan

Just don't bring up phones....
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 15 of 30
swhite

LOL, OK, PEACE 🙂

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 16 of 30
IraRod

the Inventor plugin is Autodesk Certified, in addition, it will be up on the Exchange very soon, until then, you can go to the website and download the 21 day trial.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 17 of 30
cparnell
in reply to: IraRod

I am not gravely mistaken that the Bentley Viewer is FREE, and it is FREE after 90 days.

Message 18 of 30
stephengibson76

just saveas DWFx from inventor, then you can drag and drop the file into IE or Chrome

both free! and everyone has an internet browser

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 19 of 30
cparnell
in reply to: stephengibson76

I have tried that on other computers that have no CAD software and it did not work.

Message 20 of 30
stephengibson76

was it a DWF or DWFx? If iE doesnt work, try Chrome... or it might be a browser plugin missing

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report