Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D PCB Files

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
KevinPinks7697
3510 Views, 8 Replies

3D PCB Files

Hello, we always have a problem when modeling PCB's and I just want to see how other companies are doing this. Our PCB manufacturer sends us their 3D file which is great as long as they remember to add the "height" to all components. The problem is that the file the PCB manufacturer sends us is just a bunch of blocks and cylinders on a board. So there will be no connectors, headers, to mate with other components outside of the PCB. How are other people doing this? Obviously, it is impractical to try and draft the complete PCB in 3D at our end.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
KF090
in reply to: KevinPinks7697

I have the PCB guy send us the emn, emp and err files and then I import them into Inventor.  I do not include the components when I import because they are just generic shapes.  After it's imported if the board thickness was not specified I can extrude from the base sketch.

The PCB is it's own .ipt file since we buy that and then assemble the boards here under a separate assembly number.  In that assembly will be the PCB and components.  Then when I create the assembly file I can show only the components I need to for connections in any above assemblies, the group that does the assembles the boards gets a separate component drawing from the PCB software.

Message 3 of 9
sam_m
in reply to: KevinPinks7697

we get the pcb designed to export their data as idf files and Inventor can import them (all 2014 versions can, 2013 and earlier need routing systems version).  But, this isn't a seemless task and, as you have mentioned, needs accurate height data, which is often wrong.  We are hoping that in the long term, by updating our pcb software to something more 3d-friendly and cleaning out the pcb data library, the pcb designers should be able to export a full assembly as a step file - but we'll see how that goes (I'm fearing it's one of those "good on paper and in a demo, but doesn't really work well with real data" things).

So, my process, off the top of my head:

1) get idf data from pcb designer (it also helps to get 2d dxf of the tracking and silk screen)

2) open idf data in notepad and check/correct height data (at first this is a nightmare, but after a while you get a crib sheet of "0603 = x units, 0805 = y units, etc")

3) import idf into Inventor, select as an assembly and turn off the import of any "extra" components that aren't needed but seem to exist in the idf data (holes, fiducials, notes, etc).

4) save this assy as a "idf components"

5) create a new assy and bring in the idf components, so it's a sub-assy (so I can easily move all the components about "as one" and toggle their visability off/on for higher-level assembly drawings - I think it can look a mess with all the small components shown on all drawings where the pcb assembly is a component, so I turn off all the small parts and only leave the larger/obvious parts and/or connectors which are needed to be highlighted at that assembly stage).

6) drag out the pcb from the idf components assy into the main pcb assy - ground & root it (and fix the component sub-assy's location, if the pcb moves).

7) optional - convert the silkscreen and/or tracking dxfs to image files and use them as decals on each side of the pcb.  I know this sounds (and looks) like overkill, and sometimes it is, but it's also V helpful when positioning any modelled components (but it can be a pain making sure the image is positioned and scaled correctly on the pcb model)

😎 bring in a component that is modelled in Inventor, usually larger parts, like connectors, multi-legges chips, etc - mate them to the pcb and then free drag/rotate them to place (using "g"), using the silk-screen decal as a guide, and then ground them.

9) edit the idf components assy to remove the imported block for any part that has been modelled in Inventor.

10) rinse and repeate 8 & 9

eventually you get something like this:

pcb2.png

^ that image has all the imported idf components as the small rectangles and the chips, connectors, larger caps, etc as modelled parts.

All in all, it's not a 2min job, so I guess it all depends on whether the spacing around the pcb and its components are critical, before you "waste" as lot of time...

then, there's all the fun with file names for all the imported parts...  assembly BOM management...  detailing the idw... etc...

I hope that helps.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 4 of 9
JBerns
in reply to: sam_m

Be advised - Inventor Professional or Inventor Routed Systems is required to import IDF files.

Regards,

Jerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAD Administrator
Using Inventor 2022
Autodesk Certified Instructor
Autodesk Inventor 2020 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2017 Certified Professional
Message 5 of 9
sam_m
in reply to: JBerns

as i mentioned - as far as I believe it changed with 2014.

2013 and earlier need pro or RS but 2014 and newer are good with any version, i think...

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 6 of 9
skyngu

when I use inventor 2014, i dont see an option of importing idf file. please advise me, thanks.

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2019
Message 7 of 9
JBerns
in reply to: skyngu

Below is an image of the file formats supported by Inventor Professional 2014 using the Open command. Note that it includes the IDF Board type.

INVPRO2014_FileOpenFormatSupport_2014-10-15.png

Please comapre this list to your Inventor 2014 Open command file type list.

To my knowledge the IDF format is not supported by Inventor 2014. (non-Professional version).

I have been asking Autodesk to correct all documents that refer to IDF and Inventor. It should state Inventor Professional is required.

If IDF is now supported in Inventor (non-Professional version), that would be a welcome addition.

Regards,

Jerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAD Administrator
Using Inventor 2022
Autodesk Certified Instructor
Autodesk Inventor 2020 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2017 Certified Professional
Message 8 of 9
skyngu
in reply to: JBerns

thanks. it is not on standard inventor file open list.
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2019
Message 9 of 9
dale

Hi Sam,

Nice looking model!

Looks like you've got PCB top layer (circuit tracking) included on you IDF import. Has this been done as a image / decal post import or has this come through as part of the IDF process?

I'm looking for a good (efficient) way of importing PCB data that allows for accurate interface with the MCAD data. 

At present we're using a STEP export of PCB data from Altium combined with Parasolid data of the top & bottom copper layers to accurately capture the circuit tracking. Its time consuming and very memory intensive due to the complexity of the PCB's. We're tried using decals to represent the tracking but the accuracy is poor when checking for metalwork clearances. IDF is a possibility but I can't see a way of including the top and bottom layers from the ECAD package. 

Any thoughts or ideas?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report