Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D modelling on a frame generator

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
D.D.Koletzki
765 Views, 5 Replies

3D modelling on a frame generator

For my graduating project I need to devellop a safetycase for a laser engraving machine. The safety case is going to be produced by a vendor, and they asked us to deliver the proper DWG/DXF files from which they would make the 2D work drawings.

I've been drawing a frame with by using generator on which the sheet metal parts will be mounted.

For mounting the pieces on the frame I've chosen to make threaded holes by using flow-drilling.

When I draw my threaded holes on the assembly I can change the dimensions at all times.

Tho the holes need to be made on the subparts because the holes drawn on the assembly don't show on the subparts.

When I try to model my holes on the subparts themself they get intergrated in the frame, so once I made the holes the sketches do not show in the user interface, nor can I change the sketches, which results in making it very difficult to change the frame or outline the holes with the plates.

Is there a way in which I can direct the 3D sketches from the assembly to the subparts or make the 3D sketches visibly in the subparts so I can change their dimensions at all times? (I've searched trough my inventor book a couple of times but I cannot find anything discribing this subject)

Attachments: (this is one of the three part assembly's of the total frame it shows 3 hole sketches but these need to be reflected on the subparts)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: D.D.Koletzki

An assembly file (*.iam) is only a list of hyperlinks to the part files (*.ipt) and a record of assembly constraints (and a bit more).

You must include the part files.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
D.D.Koletzki
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the response, seen the fact that one can only attach three files I´ve made a test sample in multiple posts in order to explain my problem better.

Shown in de assembly i´ve made one extrusion inside the assembly on one of the subparts, when you open the subpart it doesn´t show off the extrusion.

The other profile shows an extrusion which I´ve drawn in the subpart, it shows the extrusion within the assembly, but I cannot change the properties/dimensions of the extrusion anymore.

Message 4 of 6
D.D.Koletzki

Seccond set of drawings in attachment

Message 5 of 6
D.D.Koletzki

I could really use an answer on this question, it would be very much appriciated!!!

If this feature is not available (yet), Than I'd love to put this treat at the suggestion topic.

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
D.D.Koletzki

I've finaly been able to figure it out. It's a bit devious in my opinion, but it works fine.

This is probably a piece of cake for most of the engineers here, anyway I've decided to put up a small manual. This may be of use in the future for more newbies like myself. Smiley Happy

As illustrated in the three pictures attached to this message, you have to do the following:

1: Select the member of the frame with the right mouse button in which the holes are required.

2: Select edit and draw your sketch on the frame member.

3: Create your hole with the 3D hole feature.

You've now created your hole(s) which also show in the subpart(s).

If you wish to re-dimension your holes, you can simply use the edit feature again and change your sketch from that level.

Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums