Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Model exporting to 3D Studio Max

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
TattooJoe
1834 Views, 11 Replies

3D Model exporting to 3D Studio Max

So my marketing department has been bugging me about being able to use my 3D models in 3D studio max, we tried just a straight transfer as and iam file and we got an error message: “The inventor file could not be opened for import. Try opening the file in Inventor to see what is wrong. The last version of Inventor.exe that opened is what is used for the importer. Make sure you are using the correct version, or a newer one.”

Any thoughts, hints or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe F.
Project Engineer
Traffic and Parking Control Company
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: TattooJoe

What version of Inventor?
Does 3D Studio Max read dwg (I would certainly assume) or STEP?

Save As>Save Copy as

or Environments>AEC Exchange>Save as DWG Solids

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 12
TattooJoe
in reply to: JDMather

I'm running 2012 fully updated with SP1.

Files that 3D Studio Max accepts include:

3D Studio Max Native file format is .MAX

Autodesk Inventor (IPT, WIRE, IAM)

3D Studio Mesh (3DS, PRJ)

Autodesk (FBX)

Autodesk Collada (DAE)

AutoCAD Drawing (DWG, DXF)

IGES (IGE, IGS, IGES)

dwg does't help as much as it comes in 2D form and the real goal is for them to have a 3D model to be able to do fly bys and what not. Step is not included on the list of accepted formats.

Joe

Joe F.
Project Engineer
Message 4 of 12
swalton

I was able to get 3DS Max from the new suites to import IV 2011 and IV 2012 ipt and iam files with minor issues. 

The main issue was that my IV models were too detailed and overloaded 3DS Max.  Not unexpected because we model every washer, nut and bolt for our train assemblies.  I think we got to 10-12 million triangles in Max.  Our marketing folks wanted models no bigger than 8k. 

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 5 of 12
JDMather

dwg does't help as much as it comes in 2D form

Saving as DWG solid opens in AutoCAD as 3D?

IGES was in your list.
Of course it would be ideal to figure out why it isn't opening iam directly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: JDMather

start with a small ipt or iam and see if that can be opened by 3ds

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 12
TattooJoe
in reply to: mcgyvr

Could it be a compatability thing? Cause its IV12 vs. 3DSM 2011?

Joe F.
Project Engineer
Message 8 of 12
JDMather

Sounds like a problem to me (Inventor isn't backward compatible, so Inventor2012  to 3DS 2011?????)

But IGES or dwg should work.

Message 9 of 12
swalton

I would assume so.  I doubt that Adesk has released a patch so that 3Ds Max 2011 can understand IV 2012.  Remeber that IV 2011 can't understand IV 2012. 

Try 3DS Max 2012 or the other file types.  You should have a copy of 3DS Max 2012 with your IV 2012 product suite.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 10 of 12
IS200
in reply to: swalton

In my experience...

Check for broken constraints/sketches, turn of adaptivity in all parts, basically make sure your assembly is squeaky-clean in Inventor first. I don't think it matters which version of Inventor/Max you have. I've imported models between different versions in the .ipt/.iam format with no hassles. Unless it has changed in recent releases it shouldn't matter which version of Inventor/Max you have because Max will start the Inventor process to do the import regardless of what version it is.

Hope this helps

dL

Message 11 of 12
patrick.miller
in reply to: IS200

I'm trying to get confirmation, but I believe the posts above are correct: you cannot import Inventor 2012 into Max 2011. My understanding is SAT would be the next recommendation. See the links below from the MAX online help.

SAT import help

Inventor import help

Patrick Miller

User Experience Designer
Fusion 360 Learning
Message 12 of 12
Nephilimm

If you upload a new version of inventor (ex. 2015 to 2019 ) before merge or open your file to 3dmax you have to uptade your model to inventor. Ex. you upload new 2019 to your computer but you never uptade your old assamble parts to your new ınv19 . by the way when you open ur old file to new inv2019 old content center materials gone and it gives you alert. and if you open your file on max before updating you will get some boring messages.. l have same problem now l solve. l gave 4 days to solve this problem .. when you work in inventor be sure your model have no problem. like skect or referance asembble or dimension etc.and up to date if you do anythng . be sure everthing is okay on your inv. then after you can merge correctly. no missing part no scale errors. and be sure if you work in mm on inv , your max unit must be mm .. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report