Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Mice Recommendations

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
419 Views, 6 Replies

3D Mice Recommendations

I've currently got a 3DConnexion SpacePilot PRO but I've found the setup process to be arduous to say the least.  Their latest update wiped my profile so now I'm back at square one, having been told that I need to learn XML to restore some of the previous functionality...

My question is: What other 3D mice have people used and what were their thoughts on them?  SpaceControl have some interesting looking units and I'm sure there's other brands out there too.  I like to be able to configure my button setup to open programmes that I commonly use, and also change the mapped commands to suit.

Thoughts? Anyone?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
blair
in reply to: Anonymous

Not sure what happened to you but I've been using various versions of 3dConnexions devices for over 10 years without any problems. Starting with the SpaceCadet (long obsolete), SpacePilot, SpacePilot Pro, SpaceTraveler, SpaceExplorer.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

The main issue I have is with the setup.  I know that the application command files are supplied by the software vendors, so it's partly a AD issue, but when setting up custom key bindings, I have to wade through a dozen different commands, all labelled 'Open', until I find the one that works in the particular context I'm after.  Add to that the latest software update that removes native support for mapping startup of common applications (such as IV) from the GUI, (The user now has to write a custom XML file to get the same functionality) and you can see why I might be a little frustrated.  The update also deleted my existing profiles, so I'm starting again from scratch after spending a year tweaking things to my liking...

Message 4 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

Like Blair, I have NO problems either. Its a simple device with simple setups..

Slow down..take a breathe.. must of had a bad day with it.. tomorrow will be better 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 7
rdyson
in reply to: mcgyvr

I' also using the space pilot pro and I have to agree with Justin, key mapping is a royal pain and the lack of a way to save and replicate a profile is almost criminal.
The simpler devices (fewer buttons and only one environment) are not a problem, however.

PDSU 2016
Message 6 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: rdyson

I used to use a Space Explorer, and found that I simply didn't use the buttons, so on this last hardware upgrade I chose the Space Mouse Wireless.  Smaller, simpler, no buttons, just a 3D mouse.

Message 7 of 7
brian.cranston
in reply to: rdyson

A spent some time on the phone with 3dConnexion last week.  I worked through how to customize Inventor with the new V10 drivers and redeploy to my users. It's not simple, but it should only require copying a copy files.  I'll write a batch file to do it. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but will report back my experience. 

Here are the alternatives I know of...

http://www.spacecontrol.de/

And this company, but not sure they're in business anymore...

http://www.spatialfreedom.com

-Brian Cranston

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report