Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32-bit vs 64-bit

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2355 Views, 5 Replies

32-bit vs 64-bit

Hi!

We just received the 2012 Product Design Suite and I've made a deployment choosing the 32-bit option. We have a pretty mixed environment with both 32-bit and 64-bit systems and I was wondering whether I should create a different deployment for users with a 64-bit system. What do you think? Is there an advantage in using the 64-bit application on a 64-bit system?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
sam_m
in reply to: Anonymous

I didn't think you could install the 32bit versions on 64bit windows...  probably wrong tho.

If you company is allowing the use of 64bit Windows it's honestly crazy not to...  With 32bit you're limited to about 2-2.5gig of memory to any application (depending on graphics card and other memory resources) but 64bit will use as much memory as possible (yeah, there's a limit, but something astranomical with todays computers).  Is there an advantage, hell yeah!  You're practically shooting yourself in the foot by sticking with 32bit.

I can understand some companies are stuck in their ways and prefer to stick to 32bit, but if you're past that obsticle then move all your cad users over to 64bit as soon as possible.  Win 7 64bit and 8Gb ram is practically the min spec for these days (and a semi-decent gaming graphics card).

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: sam_m

Ok, thanks! The memory issue is of course a good point. I've seen Microsoft recommending their 32-bit version of Office for 64-bit systems as well, but that's comparing apples to oranges.

We're upgrading the operating systems when there is otherwise a reason to upgrade the computer. It would be nice to have the funding to upgrade all the CAD users systems, but you have to get by with what you got...

Message 4 of 6
sam_m

completely understand it's a financial (and time) consideration, but at the end of the day it depends on the complexity of your work.

If the 32bit pcs are struggling and paging-out a lot of the time it will affect performance which in turn will affect productivity and the ROI of the pcs...

note the system requirements for complex models and large assemblies even states 64bit now:

http://usa.autodesk.com/autodesk-inventor/system-requirements/

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: sam_m

It does say that you can't install the 32-bit version on a 64-bit system. So I guess I've got no option.

Thank you!

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Absolutely create 64 bit installs

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report