Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D to 3D

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
dbrblg
859 Views, 12 Replies

2D to 3D

Hi,

I am looking for a 2D to 3D tool for inventor.  According to some posts there is a tool at Autodesk Labs but this appears to have been discontinued.

Are there any tutorials / videos of how to achieve this goal now?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
jletcher
in reply to: dbrblg

Are you trying to take your autocad data and make it 3D in Inventor?

Message 3 of 13
dbrblg
in reply to: jletcher

I certainly am Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 13
JDMather

You can simply copy and paste into your Inventor sketches.

I would immediately convert to Inventor Sketch Blocks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 13
dbrblg

I've never used sketch blocks before but from what I can see it is only good for flat extrusions.  What happens if I want to extrude something which is round on both the X and Y axis?

Thanks

Message 6 of 13
jletcher

Well I don't recommand using autocad sketches much but if you do do what JD said.

You will find more issues doing this than to just redraw with Inventor. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 13
JDMather

@dbrblg wrote:

What happens if I want to extrude something which is round on both the X and Y axis?

Thanks

I don't recall ever seeing an extrusion like this.

Attach the dwg here.

In any case, I'm pretty sure that labs add-in would have only automated what I just described - copy and paste into sketch.

It was not an Easy Button that would magically produce 3D geometry.

As jim noted - most find AutoCAD stuff to be not of the best quality on import and usually just start from scratch in Inventor using the AutoCAD only for reference.  If you did the AutoCAD work - and know it is good quality, then use it.  Otherwise expect to find a lot of fudge.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
dbrblg
in reply to: jletcher

After looking around, I'm beginning to think it would be easier to redraw.

Its a real shame Autodesk decided to retire the 2D to 3D tool....Smiley Mad

Message 9 of 13
dbrblg
in reply to: JDMather

Here is an example of what I am looking at....

Message 10 of 13
JDMather

I think it would take significantly less time to create from scratch than to use that labs tool to import.

I was thinking  you were using far far more complex geometry.

See attached Inventor ipt example file.

As I suspected - one of the dimensions does not make logical sense.  And the AutoCAD information is incomplete or confusing (see extrusion feature).  (as jim just confirmed in his response)

Example.png

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
jletcher

I looked at you sample can you explain what it is to be honest I cant tell.. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 13
mrattray

The tool didn't work very well anyways. I know, I tried using it myself and was quickly frustrated. In the end, unless you have way complex geometery, you're much better off drawing it from scratch in Inventor. You'll find it to be faster and resulting in a better, friendlier model.

The fact is, there's just too much different about drawing in AutoCAD versus drawing in Inventor for there to ever be an easy button.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 13 of 13
dbrblg
in reply to: JDMather

The dimension does not make much sense as this was quickly bashed together, from the original, for demonstration purposes Smiley Happy

Thanks guys, for your opinions.  We'll have to look at each drawing and decide whether it is worth using Inventor Sketches or redrawing....I suspect the later in most cases.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report