Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D sketching with Inventor 2013 - initial view dimensions

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
491 Views, 6 Replies

2D sketching with Inventor 2013 - initial view dimensions

I am using Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013 with 6th grade students to create basic 2D sketches.  The sketching interface always defaults to approx. 1.3 in x 0.6 in.  Is there a way to change these dimensions so they are larger so that my students can start with a reasonable design area?  They are designing wind turbine blades so we are interested in larger dimensions (somewhere around 10 inches in length). 

It is too tricky to zoom in and out to reset the sketching area; many students are struggling with it.  If they draw a curved segment and then resize it, the segment completely changes shape.  Perhaps I should take another approach?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ampster401
in reply to: Anonymous

are your students using mice with a scroll wheel?  After starting a sketch simply roll the scroll wheel in or out to zoom in or out.

I'm not aware of any settings which dictate what the zoom scale is set to when starting sketches.  Over the yrs I've just gotten used to scrolling as needed.

Message 3 of 7
PaulMunford
in reply to: Anonymous

In your template file, go to - Tools, document settings and change the initial view extents to something bigger.

http://www.m2t.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/how-to-change-initial-view-extents-for-part-and-assembly-fil...

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: ampster401

We are running Windows on MacBooks.  The mouse touchpads are very sensitive which is why the students are having difficulty controlling the zoom function.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: PaulMunford

I tried changing the initial view extents and this did not alter the axes dimensions upon opening a new file. 

Maybe I'm missing something...what is a template file?  I apologize but I do not have training using this software. 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: ampster401

Lucky enough mice with scroll wheels were available at my school and they are an excellent fix. There is much more control. Thanks!
Message 7 of 7
ampster401
in reply to: PaulMunford

Paul,

That link you provided appears to describe how adjust the Initial View Extents which I believe only affects when you first open a file.  I do not believe that works to setup how large of a drawing surface is provided when you start a sketch, or does it?

For the OP, that link doesn't include one vital step and that is you have to physically open the template file and then make the changes that link states.

For ref though to determine where your templates are, in Inventor click on Tools > Application Options > Files tab and take note of where your Default templates are located.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report