Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D line snapping over 2 seperate sketches.

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
craigrobbo
2172 Views, 18 Replies

2D line snapping over 2 seperate sketches.

Hey guys.

What I am trying to do is line snapping over 2 stetches.

I am working in 2D sketch mod, I am basically drawing square boxes on one sketch (in black) and then on another sketch (in orange) drawing connecting lines.

Right now I am having to maually look to see the distance, but is there any way to line snap over 2 sketches?

On a side note, When a drawing is finished, is there any way to scale it up or down?

Thanks

Craig

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Hi craigrobbo,

You can use the Project Geometry tool to project the geometry of one sketch into another sketch, then they can be dimensions or constrained to snap together.

As for the scaling question, when you say drawing do you actually mean sketch? or maybe actually the part model?  If so, then yes there are methods to scale both sketches (there is a Scale tool on the sketch tab) and part models (use the Derive tool  to create a new part from the existing part).

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 19
japike
in reply to: craigrobbo

You can project geometry from one sketch to another. Can you post the part file so we can see what you are trying to do?

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 4 of 19
craigrobbo
in reply to: japike

Hey guys.

Sorry for sounding a bit dumb here but how do I project geomatory (I am new to the whole 2D sketching world)

Basically what I am trying to acheive is a box joined by a line []-[] like that.

Now the boxes are on sketch 1 lines are on sketch 2

Unfortunatly I cannot share the drawing as I have been asked from the customer not to share and is for my eyes only.

Message 5 of 19
JDMather

craigrobbo wrote: 

Unfortunatly I cannot share the drawing as I have been asked from the customer not to share and is for my eyes only.

Surely you can create two simple rectangle sketches that exhibit all the behavior you need in your proprietary file and attach the simple part here.

I recommend you see Post #6 http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Any-good-books-that-really-helped-you-learn-inventor...

Inventor is a  professional program and deserves (requires?) a professional level of prepartion.  I would at least go through the tutorials.

To Project Geometry you start (or edit) a sketch and select the Project Geometry tool and then the geometry from other sketches (or part edges) that you want to include into your current sketch.

I would post an example of what I "think" you want, but you haven't even stated what version of Inventor you are using (this is important, so important that most here list it in their signature).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 19
craigrobbo
in reply to: JDMather

HI there,

I will admit I am not a profesional. However I would like to think some of my work isn't too bad.

I have only used the 3D side of it which I would like to think I am fairly good at.

The 2D is baffeling me a little and some of the terminoligy is confusing me, I have done the tutorials(although about 6 months ago)

Basically Sketch 1 Has boxes.

Sketch 2 has lines.

How can I get the lines from sketch 2 to snap to the boxes on sketch 1?

Some of my 3D work below so you can see I not a total newbie.
Thanks

Message 7 of 19
craigrobbo

Here is the file, I have managed to alter it so that it doesn't show what it suposed to be.

Help would be appreciated faily quick, I have to have this job done by monday and I have about 30 of them to do!

Message 8 of 19
mrattray

I would consider drawing these as sketches in a part file.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 19
japike

I agree with Mike. I would do it in part sketches or use Autocad. Inventor is a 3d modeling package and not really well suited for 2d type stuff.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 10 of 19
JDMather

Well, I wasn't expecting sketching in idw as the problem statement.

Look into Sketch Blocks (in ipt)

and/or

Sketch Symbols in idw.

edit: or AutoCAD

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 11 of 19
craigrobbo
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks again guys.

Help is much appreciated as always and I respect your wisdom.

I don't own a copy of Autocad unfortunatley ( I haven't got the funds to purchase it or the time scale to learn it right now)

My I ask How I do 'part' sketches - As previously stated I seem to work well on the 3D side but I am really struggling with basic principles on the 2D side.

Can any one modify my File and join a line to show me how its done?

All help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Message 12 of 19
mrattray

I think AutoCAD was only suggested under the assumption that you have a product design suite which would include AutoCAD (and most draftsmen are familiar with it).

What I would like to know is how is it possible to know how to draw complex 3D geometry in Inventor and have no idea what a part sketch is? What workflow do you use to create your geometry that doesn't involve the sketcher?

Anyways, making a part sketch isn't much different from creating a drawing sketch. The biggest difference being that it's in an .ipt file.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 13 of 19
craigrobbo
in reply to: mrattray

It maybe just the terminoligy.

Also i should really have not uploaded in the format I did. When the drawing is complete i need to export into DWG any way as the receiver is using AutoCAD to plot/print them out.

I think my brain must be faulty, I seem to beable to do the complex 3D work (and have been for a few years) but I just cannot get my head around the 2D side

Thanks again

Message 14 of 19
mrattray

Here's an example.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 15 of 19
craigrobbo
in reply to: mrattray

Hi there.

Thanks for that, the way that 3D model interacts is perfect and I can do that quite easily (I understand what you mean now about part sketch) however when you do this in 2D mode (in a DWG / IDW enviroment) it does not appear to have line snapping over 2 sketches on the same drawing.

Message 16 of 19
craigrobbo

Iv uploaded a quick video to show what I mean, maybe it can explain a little clearer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIrnyJJw68Q&feature=youtu.be

Message 17 of 19
Ray_Feiler

Yep, that kind of stuff is easy in AutoCAD. I wouldn't even give it a go in an Inventor idw.

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 18 of 19
craigrobbo

Thanks for getting back (sorry for the delay I had issues signing in)

Unfortunatley I don't have AUTOCAD and My time scale is alittle short to buy and learn it (not to mention I cannot actually affored it right now)

Basically I need to do one of 2 things.

1 Snap lines across multiple sketches (like how it does in the 3D mode)

2 Change colour of individual drawn lines on one sketch.

All help is appreciated I am pulling my hair out I need to have this job handed in by wednesday morning.

I would gladly buy the man a pint who has the answer.

Message 19 of 19
mrattray

I didn't watch your video because I'm posting from work and that's a little too much screwing off for me. Assuming that your problem is still the same though, the reason I showed you how to do this "in 3D" was to suggest the work flow of doing these two sketches in a part file and then placing that part into an idw file. You can then use the retrieve model sketches command (accessed via RMB menu from the browser) to show the sketches in the idw.

You should be able to change the colors of the sketch lines once you have the sketches moved to the idw.

On a side note, why do these need to be in two seperate sketches? This wouldn't be a problem at all if it was all in one sketch.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report