Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Relationship folder keeps expanding

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
karthur1
693 Views, 7 Replies

2014 Relationship folder keeps expanding

Is there a way to make the Relationship folder in the browser stop expanding.  I am constatnly having to clcik to collapse it when I lock/unlock a view rep or change VR.

I searched here and found a few post, but none had a solution.

Kirk

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Nicolas.Bourquin
in reply to: karthur1

Kirk,

Many thanks for your question. We propose you to try the following:

1) In the Assembly => activate the view for which the "Relationships" folder (or other folder) is (are) expanded

2) Unlock this view

3) Collapse the expanded folder(s) (or select directly the “top assembly” in the model structure >> use the right click >> collapse all children)

4) select the view >> right click >> lock

=> now if you activate another view (like master) and activate again the previous view, the folder should be collapsed.

I hope that will help you.

Best Regards

Nicolas Bourquin
Message 3 of 8
karthur1
in reply to: Nicolas.Bourquin

I just opened an assembly that was built in Inventor 2013.  It opened in the "default" view rep active and the Relationship folder is expanded.  With it expanded, I can't see any parts in my assembly unless I scroll the model browser just to see any parts.

I see what you are saying about unlocking/locking the view rep to change the state of the browser expansion. That must be something new in 2014.  Having it expanded by default is very annoying.

Thanks

Message 4 of 8
mcgyvr

@karthur1 wrote:

Having it expanded by default is very annoying.

Thanks

I second that 100%.. 

I have NO idea why they needed to move it into the "assembly view" also.. Its CRAP.. I have no problem with them changing the name from constraints to relationships as now joints,etc.. are included.. BUT I have a problem with the fact that they didn't leave the functionality the same where when in "assembly view" you didn't see that folder and when you switched to "model view" you would.. If they would have just left it like that it would have been a totally acceptable change.. Now its NOT. Autodesk has AGAIN added MORE mouse clicks to my job for NO good reason.

I feel like everytime I open a new (new for 2014) file now that I get this giant "sales/marketing" crap saying.. "Hey look at me.. I'm a relationships folder now.. "  and I say  "big f'in deal..go away" .. Might be great for "newbies" but its a total annoyance for the rest of us IMO"...

I'd request that a new update or service pack should be released and include a new application option to "do not expand relationships folder" Or maybe someone at Autodesk was smart enough to make tha a registry setting and can provide us with the proper manual change to make it stop</rant>

@Anonymous wrote:

Folks,

The reason the relationship folder is open is because in your past release your constraint folder was open.

The relationship folder is the exact same folder that we used to have just renamed and displayed all the time. If you never used modeling view in the browser you never saw the constraint folder and realized it was open. We remember the expansion state of all browser entries.

If you specifically close the constraint folder in 2013 and force a save (just closing the browser item doesn't dirty the assembly) then open in 2014 it will no longer "default" to open.

If you close it in 2014 and then save the assembly it should not be open next time you use that same view rep (that is where we save the browser states).

Hope this helps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 8
herzogh

Hi Folks,

As Steve and others indicated we now show the Relationships folder in the assembly view. This change was driven by user inquiries, a survey  and several requests which indicated that showing the folder was in the browser Assembly view was preferred. I will point out that the the research was primarily done with newer users but some veteran users were included.  

From this and other posts I've seen it seems this may not be a common point of view or that the current behavior is less than desirable. So, what I'd like to better understand is what you'd recommend be done to improve it.

1) Change the behavior so this folder is never expanded by default (don't remember the expand/collapse state)

2) Provide an application option (remember relationship expand/collapse in design views)

3) Provide a browser filter so you can easily hide it (these presist so you'd only need to select the filter once)

4) Provide more comprehensive help so it's clear what is stored in a design view.

5) Other?

Also, it would be helpful if you could indicate your priority as far as importance (Low/Medium/High)?

Thank you

Hans Herzog

DLS-UX

“https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png”Hans Herzog
Autodesk PDMS
Senior Manager, Experience Design
Message 6 of 8
karthur1
in reply to: herzogh

Hans,

Changes I would like to see. in this priority:

1. Collapsed by default.  Its fine to save the state with the view rep.

2. Include an application option to hide the relationship folder from the browser.

Thanks,

Kirk

Message 7 of 8
slphantom

How about having that folder at the end of the browser list?

Scott
win 11 64 bit
Nvida GeForce RTX 4000
Inventor Pro 2023
Space Explorer
Message 8 of 8
chad38

I would go with

1) Change so that it's never expanded on open by default(perhaps with an application option to change this so it remembers the last state of it, like in choice #2?)

But, in any event, you should listen to people who have been using the program for longer, and put a lot more weight in their opinion about it. Especially when it comes to interface changes. Changing layout, adding steps to get to funtions and renaming things is not really an update, btw. More of an annoyance. Perhaps add in that little paperclip guy that used to pop up after new installs of MS Word? Change for the mere sake of change is bad. I understand that you feel you have to change SOMETHING to justify a new yearly release the program, but let marketing come up with spinning stuff to make sales, but changes should be for added, USEFUL, functions. And you should never make users have to go farther than they used to for the same functions. Just because it's a new year and you have to release a new version, well, it'd be better if you just changed the year and if no real good changes have been come up with, don't make up interface changes just to call it a new version.

Oh, and if autodesk doesn't add a true "normal cutout" function very soon, I'm going to explain to them why Solid Edge is a much better option than Inventor because we are a sheetmetal fabricators and solid edge understands our needs much better. Thank you.

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report