Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013- Task Scheduler

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
karthur1
770 Views, 6 Replies

2013- Task Scheduler

I am trying to use the Task Scheduler to migrate our commercial parts that we have modeled... fasteners, bearings, bushings, pins, keys...etc.  I hate using this for migration.  I am using vault and that even complilcates it even more.  With the ts, I get:

1. It doesnt properly migrate my ipart files. After my iparts are migrated and checked back into vault, when I open an assembly with the iparts, Inventor wants to update them AGAIN!  This means another checkout, save and check in.  Here is an example.

2012-08-08_0733.png

2. It crashes.  It was crashing (unknown exception) when I was running a "Migrate Task". So, I created a "check-out from vault" task, then a seperate migrate task for ipts, another for iams. The finally another for "check into vault".  Figured out the "check into vault" was where it was failing.... now I cant get the parts checked back in.....aaaarrrgggh!

There are a total of about 74,000 files (ipts and iam) that I am trying to get up-to-date here.  I had rather do this in a batch, than to have let them be migrated on an as-need basis when they are opened individually. 

What a total MESS!!!  There has got to be a better way.  I have spent way too many days on this already!!!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
karthur1
in reply to: karthur1

While I'm venting.... what sort order is this list in?  This is a "check-into Vault" task.  I want to unselect some of the folders.  I would think these would be in some sort of order... Alphabetically would be nice.

2012-08-08_0816.png

Also, this window retain its size if I resize it.  Autodesk should hire someone to go thru each and every dialog and make sure that it will remember its size.  So aggravating to have to resize it everytime.  But then again if the task didnt keep failing, I wouldnt have to be doing this again and again.....

Message 3 of 7
karthur1

Trying to get the migrated files checked into vault.  TS keeps giving me "Unknown Exception".  I iitially thought that it was a particular file/iam that was causing this.  No matter what directory I choose to include in the task, it still crashes.

I can choose just one iam to include and it still gives the unknown exception error and does not check in the files.  Under settings, I have tried checking and unchecking include children.  I am not creating a visualization attachment.

2012-08-08_0832.png

Message 4 of 7
karthur1

Smiley Sad

2012-08-08_0851.png

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

You might want to hold off on migrating any more files to 2013 after the problem with annotations becoming detached we identified yesterday.  I have confirmation that there is a problem.

Message 6 of 7
karthur1
in reply to: Anonymous

I agree with you on that.  I am not migrating any of my "production" parts.  None of these files have idw associated with them.

Message 7 of 7
monsoon99

Hello,

Never posted here before, but I believe I have found a work around for you potentially. My Task Scheduler did the exact same thing as yours.  I was happy it checked files out completely, then migrated everything completely, then was left with unknown exception error and all files not checked back into vault.

After reading online it seems if your files are down several folders (4 - 6 folders down) in my case it cannot batch process correctly.  So I setup up task scheduler to process sets of folders further down my trees. In the case of the attached file my 002 folder. It was able to handle everything except one of my IParts that I have multiple -101, -102, -103, etc created in table form.  I was able to manually check out, migrate, check in this file and I know probably 100's files in our vault will be this way, but much better than the 150,000+ files that we have in the vault.

To setup task scheduler for this check in do following:

1. "Create Task" drop down

2. Select "Check In to Vault"

3. Select "Add Folder"

4. Open your tree up until within 3 folders of all parts, assemblies, presentations, drawings

5. Select first folder hold control key and select last folder

6. Select "Okay"

7. Name your task and set start time/date and other settings

8. Return to at least most of your work completed as it should have been to begin with

Hope this helps and let me know if it works for your system also.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report