Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 should suppressing a part change center of gravity

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
eman6398
750 Views, 10 Replies

2013 should suppressing a part change center of gravity

I have a model with vibrators and weights that need to align with the center of gravity. I have positional reps for changing the vibrator angle. then I use weights to move my cg. I tried using a level of detail to suppress the weights im not using. shouldnt this change the center of gravity? Mine isnt changing in 2013, has this been the case for the last versions? Or does suppressing in a level of detail not totally remove the part from the physical properties?

Dell t1700 Xeon 16 gb ram
Windows 7 64 bit
NVIDIA QUADRO K4000

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
jletcher
in reply to: eman6398

I just tested in 2012 for you and no it did not change for me....

Message 3 of 11
eman6398
in reply to: jletcher

thanks for the reply,

this doesnt make any sense. if the part is suppressed he physical properties shouldnt include it.

I guess I will have to do it the hard way.

Dell t1700 Xeon 16 gb ram
Windows 7 64 bit
NVIDIA QUADRO K4000

Message 4 of 11
dave.anderson

Here's what Help has to say on COG:

Design View representations and Level of detail representations do not affect center of gravity. The center of gravity only refers to the Master level of detail representation of the assembly. The suppression or substitution of the model does not affect the location of the center of gravity.

I hope that clarifies what's supposed to happen.

Dave Anderson
Sr. Support Engineer– CAM
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 11
mrattray
in reply to: dave.anderson

This is odd behavior considering that an assemblies mass does take LOD settings into account.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 11
Alvaro.perez

Does anybody know of a way to change a part's chenter of gravity without having to manualy add weights or change the part's density/mass?

Message 7 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: Alvaro.perez

@Alvaro.perez wrote:

Does anybody know of a way to change a part's chenter of gravity without having to manualy add weights or change the part's density/mass?

If the density/mass is correct and the model is correct then the center of gravity should be correct.

If its not then either the part is not modeled correctly or the material properties are incorrect.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 11
Alvaro.perez
in reply to: mcgyvr

I am aware of the incorrect mass and geometry. That is what makes the center of gravity. im just asking if theres a way to change the COG without having to model the internals correctly. A "shortcut"

Message 9 of 11
mcgyvr

@Alvaro.perez wrote:

I am aware of the incorrect mass and geometry. That is what makes the center of gravity. im just asking if theres a way to change the COG without having to model the internals correctly. A "shortcut"

I don't know because I'm not lazy and don't do "shortcuts". 🙂 

I wouldn't think so..

If you need a proper COG then you need the proper model and the proper material props. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 10 of 11
Alvaro.perez
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks Mcgayvr. Your help was appreciated

Message 11 of 11
cmharb

Ive not tried this. 

Try  changing the weights you dont want in the assembly's BOM to referance, this works in the mass calculations.

w7u-64sp1,iv14,intel.xeon.e5-2620 0 @2.00 2.00-32gb,gtx560-4gb

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report