Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 Select Other Tool

44 REPLIES 44
Message 1 of 45
randym1982
1726 Views, 44 Replies

2012 Select Other Tool

Hey Guys,

Am I alone in HATING the new select other behavior?  I used to be able to scroll till what I wanted was highlighted and then left click to select.  Now I have to move the mouse over and hit the green checkmark.  Here's a suggestion.  It's a simple fix.  Put the green checkmark on the left and the drop down on the right.  Don't make me hit another target.  I am getting used to the new marking menu.  The only issue I am having is sometimes it seems that I have to left click and then right click a part to get the correct context sensitive marking menu to pop.  On my machine it also pops a little slow but that is probably a graphics card deficiency.  The marking menu seems to be pulled from the Crysis Nano Suit function selector (for any gamers out there)  I love it there and I am sure I will remember all the different menus here soon. 

Randy Martens

44 REPLIES 44
Message 2 of 45
mcgyvr
in reply to: randym1982

You are not alone.. And I haven't even loaded 2012. 🙂

A while ago I posted some "Autodesk Mottos" that I can't find now but

1 was "2 mouse clicks must be better than 1"

and "If it ain't broke, lets change it"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 45
randym1982
in reply to: mcgyvr

Ha.  No kidding!

Message 4 of 45
scottmoyse

To be fair the original select other was rubbish in the sketch environment. Unfortunately they didn't even improve that with this version. So its worse for that reason alone. Why change something if you're not going ot make it better?

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 5 of 45
feame
in reply to: scottmoyse

Are there any updates at all on this? Can it be reverted back to how the other releases was which actually worked?

Example: try and create a new sketch plane on and object behind another and offset it. With the previous versions it was highlight the area, scroll to face, click and drag and move the plane to where you want it.

Now though, it seems you can only create a new offset workplane if there is nothing in front of it, PITA when working on assemblies. Even if you move the dialogue box over the object, the mouse button has to be released for it to select the object, by which point you can drag it now.

Just for the heck of saying it, can I just put out there I think inventor 2011 was near bang on perfect and it was the first release I've used since 6 that was stable, reliable, and useful. In the time I've been using the new release I'm finding it slow, buggy and unstable.

And when will the parts list / assembly tree be put on a pop up dashboard like everything else already?

Message 6 of 45

You can set back to classic context menu by clicking Customize button, switch to Marking Menu tab, turn on check box "Use Classic Context Menu", hit OK.

Regards,

Kevin Li

SQA Engineer, Autodesk, Inc.

Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 7 of 45
feame
in reply to: KevinLi-Autodesk

That reverts the context menu back, but doesn't alter the 'select other' tool.

Message 8 of 45
beau-tech

Just installed 2012 and am still getting used to the new select tool. When 3d constraining and selecting the second constraint I get a confirmation tone but the 'ok' or 'apply' buttons are not available. If possible I can orbit around and pick the same feature, not requiring the select tool, and the constraint works. This is a fresh install on a rebuilt hard drive.

If I am not the only one, hope that this gets fixed. Very time consuming.

Pete Beau

IV 2012 pro

win 7

Message 9 of 45
scottmoyse
in reply to: feame

That was a well thought out response from Autodesk! ;o) sorry couldn't resist posting that

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 10 of 45
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: beau-tech

I prefer the old as well.    If it "ain't" broke, then don't screw with it.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 11 of 45
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: scottmoyse

Sh..................   It's "New and Improved"........   can't you tell?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 12 of 45
beau-tech

Me again. Please hotfix the select tool & 3d constraint issue asap (see my previous post). This is getting old, fast. I am making extra workplanes so I just constrain stuff. Should have waited for sp1.

Message 13 of 45
scottmoyse

for hot fix requests you should contact your reseller and support, then together with your reseller fill out a business case form to get the fix considered by Autodesk

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 14 of 45
bogdansoare3455

@beau-tech wrote:

Just installed 2012 and am still getting used to the new select tool. When 3d constraining and selecting the second constraint I get a confirmation tone but the 'ok' or 'apply' buttons are not available. If possible I can orbit around and pick the same feature, not requiring the select tool, and the constraint works. This is a fresh install on a rebuilt hard drive.

If I am not the only one, hope that this gets fixed. Very time consuming.

Pete Beau

IV 2012 pro

win 7

I have the same annoying problem. even more: if i use amber icon color theme instead of cobalt icon color theme (which is the default inventor theme) the select other tool doesn't appear at all.

I hope that this will be fixed asap

IV 2012 pro

win xp 32 bit

Message 15 of 45
ACEDeSmedt

You are not the only one having trouble selecting the second (or third) select-set using select other

try constraining cylinders, downloaded from Festo. The inner cylinder surface plane is impossible to constrain

hope this will be fixed soon!

=================================
If this is the solution, push the solution button 😉 (and maybe some kudos)
Autodesk Product Design Suit - Ultimate edition (Subscription)
Message 16 of 45
dacton

Select other tool is a pain, but mine issue also includes that even if I scroll or pull down and select the "other" object, even though it highlights, it may not select the other object.  I find myself needing to sometimes change the view slightly (orbit or similar) and starting the select other over again.  Like Inventor knows its there, but the database is not refreshed for the select other.  weird.

Message 17 of 45
Vlad.Makarov

@mcgyvr wrote:

A while ago I posted some "Autodesk Mottos" that I can't find now but

1 was "2 mouse clicks must be better than 1"

and "If it ain't broke, lets change it"

You hit the mark on this!

blair
in reply to: Vlad.Makarov

I have posted on this as well, Autodesk says there is a fix in the works...I keep checking each day.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 19 of 45
feame

Any update hotfixes yet?

The thing is riddled with other problems aside from the obvious, for example you can't constrain one part to another if the second part is a 'select other' face. It selects the face, and a part preview is shown, but the 'apply' button is unavailable so you have to cancel it which undoes the constarint.

Message 20 of 45
scottmoyse
in reply to: feame

Service Pack 1 isn't too far away.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report