Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 ribbon missing (interface change)

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
eman6398
8384 Views, 14 Replies

2012 ribbon missing (interface change)

i opened inventor pro 2012 and my interface is different and my ribbon is missing. i tried restarting a number of times with no change. I tried a repair with no change. I might try a reinstall.

Any ideas?

Dell t1700 Xeon 16 gb ram
Windows 7 64 bit
NVIDIA QUADRO K4000

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: eman6398

Was it ever correct on the 2012 install?
Did you have a previous release installed on this machine?
Did you follow the Autodesk Clean Uninstall document to remove previous release?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=14893355&linkID=9242018

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 15
mcgyvr
in reply to: JDMather

That classic interface is one tough cookie.. Autodesk tried to bury it and its clinging to life still from the depths of the computer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi! If you can reproduce this behavior without changing any relevant setting, please let me know. It does not sound right. To get back Ribbon UI, please close Inventor and check the following registry (launch regedit.exe).

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion16.0\System\Preferences\UIStyle\

Look at the value for "InterfaceStyle" and the value is supposed to be '0', which stands for Ribbon UI. Change it to '0' if it is not zero.

If you can show me the workflow causing Inventor Classic UI to turn on in R2012 other than changing registry key, please let me know asap.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 15
eman6398
in reply to: johnsonshiue

sorry I have already uninstalled and reinstalled inventor. It is working now. i will post again here if it happens again.

thanks for the info.

Dell t1700 Xeon 16 gb ram
Windows 7 64 bit
NVIDIA QUADRO K4000

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

I had the same thing happen to my computer yesterday.  I was using the Task Schedular to migrate some files and it locked up.  I had to force shutdown the task schedular.  After doing that I opened Inventor to find that the ribbon was gone and I was looking at the old interface.  I am used to the Ribbon now so I wanted it back but since the old UI is still here, why not make it an option for those who hate the ribbon?

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

Almost the same thing happened to me today...

Task Scheduler was working on migrating our files to 2012... when IT asked me to stop because it was slowing down some replication processes to our remote servers...

I paused the Task...

I opened Inventor to look at some models... but I am looking at the "Classic" interface...

If I go to the Customize dialog, the "Ribbon" tab is completely blank... nothing there.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

For the record... I changed the registry setting... and the ribbons ARE back...

but I've NO idea how it got changed in the first place...

Message 9 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi! I have confirmedd the behavior happens when Task Scheduler process is terminated during a task. To switch back to Ribbon UI at this point, you can go to Tools -> Application Options -> Color -> change UI Style to Ribbon -> OK.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

Thanks Johnson,

I got the ribbons back by setting the registry value... but I didn't see that option anywhere in the Application Options...

Also, it seems my RMB options are gone now too... Marking Menu issue? If I change it to Classic Context Menu, it works as it should. But the other menu does not "appear" although I can click where items are "supposed to show up... and the commands DO work. Cool.

I see that some people are talking about a graphics card issue... but it worked fine 2 days ago... but now it doesn't. Something else is going on.

Any ideas?

Message 11 of 15
jletcher

Ok I just need to put a few cents in this. Kind of late but Autodesk please don't ever get rid of classic I hate the ribbon I like the fact that I can have my panel bar next to the location I am working. If you go to ribbon only I will have some milage on my mouse plus it takes more time to change to the ribbon tab. I JUST HATE THE RIBBON................

Message 12 of 15
jason.dent

Hi Johnson,

Just for the record, none of the above will work whilst task scheduler (migrating files) is running. This has not been rectified in Inventor Sp1 either.

This causes you to have to wait until task scheduler completes (or is terminated), which can be for a long period of time.

Regards,

Jason Dent

Tags (1)
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: jletcher

<removes kudos given to this post>

I bet youve got a drawing machine in the corner of your office too.

Historical:

stuff that...computers will never be better than a drawing machine.

stuff that...tool buttons will never be better than my digitizer

stuff that...3d will never be better than 2d

stuff that...the ribbon will never be better than tool buttons

etc...etc

once you get over your the initial shock, the ribbon is soooo much more intuative than classic mode...much less milage on my mouse having the commands i need at my finger tips instead of buried down some list of menues or so small to fit them on the page that you need a sniper scope on your mouse to hit them.

Message 14 of 15
jletcher

I have to say sorry but no. if I have to do 3 clicks to my one click that is time. I had all my commands that used in one panel now I have to click a tab click a drop down then click my command. How is that faster? Inventor is turning into Solid edge and if you have not tried solid edge your lucky. In solid edge I have to go through 5 windows befor I can change a text on a drawing. More clicks = more time no matter how you look at it.

Message 15 of 15
MetalBlade
in reply to: jletcher

Ribbon UI is an abomination.

Normal/Classic UI MUST be an available option - doNOT remove, please AutoDESK !

It is why I keep Inventor2012 Professional even now, despite ver. 2016 is out - because "we" (knowledgeable folks) been hacking it since 2009 (when Ribbon malady first appared?) to restore ClassicUI by a registry key, but we're afraid since ver. 2012 thru present year2016, even a registry mod wouldn't replace Ribbon vs. Classic.

I understand the business burden of maintaining two UI's/workflows in a single product, well my suggestion is simple:

ClassicUI is simply better, and if you can afford - offer both (switchable) or Classic alone.

I know at least one mega-complex & expensive eCAD (EDA) package (MentorPADS or smaller KovSoft DEX) where both normal/classic UI & Ribbon are switchable.

The ClassicUI menus are floating in my setup and are a pleasure to use, always been - since year 2005 when I was introduced to AutoDESK Inventor & its competitors, and thru present year 2016. 

Iam the real hardcore computer addict (not a "user" Engineer, but poweruser), and no amount of talking by modern Talking Heads will convince me that "new is always better than old".

Sometimes new is worse !!

==========================

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
==========================

Stanley Starinski (Stan), MSEE

Miteq / Narda / Amplitech / NASA

Engineer Electronic + Mechanical (statics only, no dynamics) + Soft/FirmWare

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report