Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 issues

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
rickcarufel
502 Views, 14 Replies

2012 issues

I am running inventor 2012 pro on Vista with all the updates, on an AMD quad core 2.2 gig,m  with 6 gigs of ram and ATI Radeon 4650 graphics card.  I was importing a .dwg file and got a runtime error.  Now Inventor will not start.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
2grumpy
in reply to: rickcarufel

Best solution - get Window 7 64bit - it will save you a lot of time and health.

Message 3 of 15
rickcarufel
in reply to: 2grumpy

No help unless you can suggest where to get a free upgrade.  Is it possible to upgrade using 7 64bit on my laptop to my pc if they're networked without losing everything on the pc?  I'm more a graphics artist than a techie so I have a lot of questions.

Message 4 of 15

If you reboot machine, still cannot launch Inventor ? If yes, try to repair your inventor via control panel -> select Inventor 2012 -> click Uninstall -> click Repair or Reinstall -> hit Repair

If it still cannot be launched after Repair, can you attach the .dwg file here ?

Regards,

Kevin Li

Quality Assurance Engineer

Autodesk, Inc.

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 5 of 15

This is my third attempt to reply.  I rebooted and tried fixing Inventor.  Neither worked, although it said Inventor had been repaired.  I have tried to reply to this post twice but it won't got through with the .dwg file attached.

Message 6 of 15
Doug_DuPont

You are going to need to zip the dwg file.

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 7 of 15
SBix26

Network or standalone license?

Message 8 of 15
JDMather

I am running on Vista fine.
I don't know of any reason other than filesize why you wouldn't be able to attach a dwg here.
Zip it as suggested - what is the size now?

If all else fails use the Autodesk Clean Uninstall instructions http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=2887771&linkID=9240617

and be sure to have anti-virus (including TSR) and UAC turned off for the clean re-install.

I would try to have others test that dwg first before going through the work of an uninstall/reinstall.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 9 of 15
rickcarufel
in reply to: JDMather

I zipped thwe file but it is still almost 3 megs so it won't upload.  I will probabally need to do a complete reinstall.  But it would be nice to know what crashed the program so it won't run anymore.

Message 10 of 15
rickcarufel
in reply to: SBix26

Standalone

Message 11 of 15
SBix26

A crash can mess up some of Inventor's configuration files, so it may be that a full reinstall is not necessary for you to get going again.  Can someone else log on to your computer and launch Inventor successfully?

Message 12 of 15
rickcarufel

I'm the only person who uses my computer.

Message 13 of 15
SBix26

So no possibility of anyone else logging on to your computer and trying to start Inventor?  That would tell you whether the problem is with your account, or with shared stuff.  Otherwise, the next thing is to delete everything under your profile that has anything to do with Inventor 2012.  Inventor will re-create these files when it starts the next time.  The same also needs to be done in the registry (usual disclaimer/warning about editing the registry): under HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Autodesk>Inventor, delete the RegistryVersion 16.0 folder.  Again, Inventor will re-create this when it starts the next time.  This is where all your Application options are stored, so they'll all be gone, unless you Export them before deleting, then import them afterwards.

Message 14 of 15
rickcarufel

I did an uninstall and reinstall.  For me that's easier than messing with the registry and searching for folders and files.  I haven't yet tried to open the file that caused the crash.  But I will later and let you know what happens.

Message 15 of 15
Bob_Zurunkle

It might be wise to try opening some other Inventor file to verify the program is working first...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report