Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2011 Frame Generator Custom Notch Profiles

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
BMiller63
2081 Views, 8 Replies

2011 Frame Generator Custom Notch Profiles

Has anyone tried to author notch profiles in the structural members for 2011?
The what's new states:
>Publish Notch Profiles
>The Notch command is enhanced so that you can define and reuse frame cross-sections. This is particularly >helpful when you need a minimal gap between two connected frames.
>You can sketch a notch profile, extrude it, convert it to an iPart, and author and publish the iPart to Content >Center. Then you can apply the notch to cut another frame during the Notch process.
But it doesn't give much more than that. So far my attempts to figure this out have not been fruitful. I was just curious if anyone has an example or a tip.
Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
BMiller63
in reply to: BMiller63

just a bump for this to see if anyone has looked at this since I first posed the question.

Message 3 of 9
mflayler2

Yes, when you are doing the Structural Shape Authoring you can have two seperate profiles.  One is the standard you use for creating the Structural Steel piece and the other is a Notch profile which you create in that same file.  From there you author normally and when you have to use it just use the Notch command and for members that have it the radio button will appear to use the custom notch profile.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 4 of 9
BMiller63
in reply to: mflayler2

Thanks for the reply Mark, but it isn't much more than what can be found in the what's new or the help files.

Have you tried this?

Have you been successful with this?

Can you provide an example that I can follow along with?

Message 5 of 9
mflayler2

I'll see about getting a blog post together for it tomorrow.  I have some files I used to create the first document on this before.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 6 of 9
BMiller63

Thanks Mark.

No hurry.

Message 7 of 9
mflayler2

Here is a short video and some screen grabs as well as my original white paper I did about a year and a half ago on this subject.  (White paper is before notching profiles were added to the software but contains important steps and tips)

http://blogs.rand.com/manufacturing/2010/06/inventor-tips-and-tricks-structural-shape-authoring-notc...

Message 8 of 9
BMiller63

Thanks Mark!

Your explination of this is a big help.

Unfortuantly, I think AD has missed the boat on this notch thing still! There seems to be a real lack of understanding concerning the type of notches that would be typically used for structural frames.

Message 9 of 9
mbaker

I have been attempting to find a real practical reason to use this, and I must be frank this is a terrible implementation of structural steel notching. First user are required to make a unique special part, and if they do not know what the notch is going to look like until after they have completed a design it is useless. Second building a notch in a structural shape should not be part of the beam it should be a tool or function that is applied to a specific beam after initial placement and design, the method currently in the product is not under any definition a top down approach to design, again a terrible implementation, and not useable in the a real working environment.

Sorry guys, just My $0.02 worth.

MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report