Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2008 Inventor, conversion of assembly files to Pro/E compatibility

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Downs.Daniel
532 Views, 6 Replies

2008 Inventor, conversion of assembly files to Pro/E compatibility

I'm running into a file conversion issue at work. I use Inventor 2008 and i need to have my assembly miodels analyzed by stress engineering via Pro/E Wildfire.

I've tried converting the assembly file to .iges and .step. However, the assemblies are jumbled in the conversion. All the parts are there, but the constraints are not.  In the past, the assemblies have been small enough that the stress engineer was able to reassemble the parts in Pro/E. This current project, however, is much to large to do so.

If I were to purchase Inventor 2013, could I save the files with the Pro/E native file extensions directly? Does anyone have experience with this?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: Downs.Daniel

Daniel,

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know about 2013 (not there yet), but in 2012 you have this option for .iam files and ipt files.

PROE.JPG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 7
DarrenP
in reply to: Cadmanto

inventor fusion can export out as a pro engineer granite file format (.g)

and also iges & step

which is free

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/fusion/

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
Downs.Daniel
in reply to: Cadmanto

Must all the inidividual part files as well as the assembly file be converted to the 'granite' file type?

Also, does it matter which version of Pro/E will be used?

Message 5 of 7
Cadmanto

The version might.  I know with my dealings with Solidworks, the version mattered.

Do you know which version of wildfire you are delaing with? 

I think the latest version of wildfire is 6.0 which I think is pretty new.  If you are deailing with WF 4.0

that might be comparible to Inventor 2008.  But WF 6.0  should be comparible to Inventor 2013 and WF 5.0

should be comparible to 2009-2012.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

@Downs.Daniel wrote:

All the parts are there, but the constraints are not.

There is no way to translate assembly constraints.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 7
Downs.Daniel

I do not require the constraints to carry over. I just need the assembly to be intact. When the stress engineer opens the .step or .igs file, all of the parts are randomly oriented in the model space.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report