Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 dimensions needed, cannot constrain a simple square

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
crtcadmin
6550 Views, 3 Replies

2 dimensions needed, cannot constrain a simple square

I do not know what I am missing but when I sketch any basic shape i end up with "2 dimensions needed" in the lower right and it doesn't matter what I dimension or constrain I cannot get a part to Fully Constrained.  any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
FProcp
in reply to: crtcadmin

Auto_dim.jpg

Click on "Automatic Dimension" to see what's needed.

Franco
GMT +08:00
Message 3 of 4
sam_m

constraints are needed to not just dimension the drawn objects but to also locate them in "space"

Assuming you've drawn a rectangle and dimensioned each side then you'll still need 2 constraints to lock it in a position on the sketch.  Options:

1) Dimension to any existing geometry

2) Dimension to the center-point

3) use a "fix" constraint to lock 1 of the corners of the rectangle

While option 3 seems the easiest 2 and 1 are better and 2 is generally the best a LOT of the time.  From the Options menu -> Sketch tab and make sure "autoproject part origin on sketch create" is ticked - now, whenever you create a sketch there will be a little dot at the origin to tie your sketch to.

If you still need constaints are dimensioning the rectangle AND dimensioning it to the origin then you probably need a horizontal or vertical constraint and check parrallel and perpendicular constraints are being set.  Basically you've created a random quadrilateral/trapezium instead of a rectangle with parallel edges.

Hope that all makes sense - if you're still struggling post a screen-shot of your sketch and we can try to show you what's missing.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 4 of 4
JDMather

Attach ipt file here that exhibits this behavior.

You might read this document

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report