Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1:1 mirror / different masses

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
gjgoot
555 Views, 11 Replies

1:1 mirror / different masses

Hello, i have al little problem.

In the weldment of a crane boom i have different parts. Some are identical, but (1:1) mirrored.ipt. Then I merge them in the BOM in order to set the qty on "2" in the partslist.

Here the error occurs: in the "mass" field in the partslist says "varies".

This keeps me from generating a good partslist and the total mass of the weldment maybe messed up.

I personaly think it has someting to do with the fact that the parts are sheetmetals. i.e when I look atthe Phisycal properties of the folded / unfolded (of the SAME .ipt) they differ in the same way i see in the BOM.

Anyone else any experiance whith this problem? 

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
SBix26
in reply to: gjgoot

Did you set the material of the mirrored part to be the same as the original?  That doesn't happen automatically, so the densities, and therefore the masses, will be different unless you make the materials the same.

Edit: when I looked at your screenshot again, I saw that the material is listed in the merged Parts List, so they must be the same.  Sorry, I don't have a solution.  But perhaps if you posted the two files someone here could figure it out.

Message 3 of 12
gjgoot

Yes I did, the material the density exactly thesame.

However I just noticed that the Volume and Area are not the same....

It realy is a 1:1 mirror.

Also in assembly, the 2 parts fit exactly over each other. i realy have no idea where the difference in volume (+/- 3000000 mm³) could come from. This amount of difference must be seable in your window..... 

Message 4 of 12
SBix26

Post the two parts-- there are some smart people here, maybe one of us can figure it out.

Message 5 of 12
gjgoot
in reply to: SBix26

Here are the parts.

I borke the link with the masterpart. Dont think is is needed for this purpose.

AI 2012

Message 6 of 12
karthur1

I'm seeing the same thing with your parts...... different volume and area.

I created my own mirror of the 182-689-30738 and I get the same volume and area..... just cant figure out what is causing yours to be off.

Just a guess, but do you have the latest SP installed for 2012?

2013-01-08_0748.png

Message 7 of 12
gjgoot
in reply to: karthur1

Yes i have the last service pack avalible for Inventor 2012. SP2

Could there be something out of order with the standard.ipt, which is used when mirroring something? but that is not a "public" file isn't it?

Message 8 of 12
hfds006

This may not apply in your case but it is worth noting. Once you mirror a part in an assembly the mirrored part is it's own separate entity. If you make changes to the original part the mirrored part does not reflect those changes.

Message 9 of 12
SBix26

I have no idea how it got into that situation, but I figured out how to fix it-- convert to a standard part (why does this need to be sheet metal?), then Edit Derived Part and change the Derive Style from Single solid body to Maintain each body.  Now the iProps > Physical > Update button becomes available, and an update gives the correct properties.  You can even change the Derive Style back to the original Single body and the properties remain good.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Message 10 of 12
blair
in reply to: SBix26

If you are using 3rd party software such as "Striker Systems" for profile burning, you need to use a sheet-metal part. When creating a burning list, Striker will read the correct material thickness and group your items for burning and nesting.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 12
Yijiang.Cai

Could you try to suppress then unsuppress the derive feature in mirror part? The mass will turn the same with it in original part. Please see the attached image for more details.

This is an known issue, which has been tracked in our system as 1484818.

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com
Message 12 of 12
gjgoot

I am aware of the fact that it becomes a separate file with it's own settings, such as material, k-factor etc. etc.

Still, the geometry is 100% the same as the original, so why is there a difference in Volume?! I am guessing that the calculation of the Mass is a simple product of the Volume and Density.

Both sbixler and Yijiang.Cai work-arounds seem to work. Inventor somehow just has to refigure the geometry form the basic part, so that the mass can be updated.

This particular part does  indeed not have to be an sheet metal. But the more I look into the models, the more parts i see with this problem. Some parts realy need to be a Sheet Metal because i need the flatpatern dimensions.

Sadly no fix. But the work-around should do.

Thank you all, for resonding and looking in to it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report