Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10
randyscott1
1602 Views, 9 Replies

What IS fusion?

or maybe, "What's the difference between Inventor and Inventor Fusion?"

When I started working in the office I found that it had Fusion already loaded on the computer, although no one in this office knows how to use it (?don't ask me). So I brought an Inventor text book hoping to learn Inventor during my lunch breaks.

The first thing I notice is that most of the pull down menus named in the text book don't exist and the book doesn't tell me how to turn on the menus. I see some command pallets at the top but not nearly as many as named in the book.

Without those menus I'm stuck wondering how to follow the intructions in the texbook. Every command it names is another that I can't find.

Am I looking at a completely different program where the Inventor book won't help me at all? Or can someone tell me how to turn on the menus? I also notice that there is no place in Fusion to find tutorials.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi Randy (or is it Scott?),

Yes, Inventor and Inventor Fusion are two different applications both from Autodesk. I am not aware of any books for Fusion. I would recommend starting with the WikiHelp specifically the Essentials Videos and the tutorials (tutorials are currently only for the Windows version of Fusion). 

If you have questions, you can comment in the wiki or post in these discussion groups. Best of luck!

Fusion for PC (Windows)

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor_Fusion/enu/2013

Fusion for Mac

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor_Fusion_Technology_for_Mac/enu/TP1

Patrick Miller

User Experience Designer
Fusion 360 Learning
Message 3 of 10
Ryan.Martinez
in reply to: randyscott1

Fusion is NOT a history based modeler. It excels at modifying non-native cad data for use in inventor. It can even break down a .stp/.stl/.prt ect into features that can then be pulled back into inventor. I have taken a couple classes at AU and watched some online classes. I would suggest going to the AU website and finding the fusion classes at watching them. The speaker last year was really good at breaking fusion down so I could understand it.

P.D.S. 2015
P.D.S. 2016
Message 4 of 10

what is the difference between the package of autocad fusion and autocad software..

why is the advantage of using fusion instead of autocad.

can any type of drawing done by autocad......

what is the disadvantage of fusion..

Message 5 of 10

Hi

Thanks your questions.

#1 The difference of Fusion and AutoCAD.

Fusion is a new product of Autodesk. The differece, I think, is Fusion can create 3D model easily. There is a Add-in Fusion in AutoCAD. It can easy to switch between AutoCAD and Fusion quickly.

#2 The advantage of Fusion.

It's easy to use, firstly. It based on directly model tech. It's 3D modeling product. But it will not instead of AutoCAD.

#3 can any type of drawing done by autocad?

I'm not sure. But I think most of drawing can be done in AutoCAD. We are tring to make our produce perfect.

#4. The disadvantage of fusion

Fusion is a new product. so there are some limitation of Fusion, comparing the mature 3D modeling product. If your think there are some disadvantage on Fusino, please feel free to tell us. We are very appreciated your suggestions.

Thanks

Cathy

Autodesk, Inc

(Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question)

Cathy Wang
Software Engineer
Fusion 360 Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 10

The first disadvantage I would like to point out is that there are no menus and only a limited number of "ribbon" toolbars. None of the common commands I know from Autocad are available in Fusion.

I have not yet had a chance to look for the tutorials named above so I can't say anything further yet.

Message 7 of 10

Hi Randy,

Thanks you to point it out.

Yeah, Fusion is different to AutoCAD.  It's a new CAD product using Directly Modeling Tech. It makes create model and edit model very easily.

Enjoy it!

Thanks

Cathy

Autodesk, Inc.

Cathy Wang
Software Engineer
Fusion 360 Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 10
randyscott1

Thanks for trying Cathy, but I have to disagree. I'm finding it very confusing and frustrating.

I am following the directions given in the wiki and they aren't working as presented.

I have applied for an ID so I can watch the videos but Autodesk does not reply. I have used "Forgot my password" and get no response. I tried to register again and it said "this email is already registered".

I have tried several times to sketch with the instructions in the wiki and the sketch always disappears.

Why does Autodesk create such a complicated software if they don't intend to create a comprehensive instruction manual? Why does Autodesk claim they will help when they obviously refuse to help?

Message 9 of 10
JDMather

Anyone should be able to see the videos, sounds like you don't have the correct plug-in installed (sorry, I forget what the name is of the plug-in but I had to install it on my machine to see the videos).

Also search for past Kevin Schnieder classes here http://au.autodesk.com

I would not expect a comprehensive instruction manual for a free product - Autodesk has several commercial products for design.  But with the wiki Help and Tutorials you (and other users) can generate the comprehesive help.

You might read this thread http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-Fusion/3D-model-doesn-t-work-anymore/td-p/3623616 especially the first and last posts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
schneik-adsk

Can you be more specific in what you mean when you sat the sketch disappears?

Also are you using MAC or Windows version.

I am sure we can get you started if we figure out why the software is not behaving as expected.

Kevin Schneider

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report